Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Take It On Faith

I decided after a glorious weekend away to give myself the week off from writing.  I started the prompts and then swiftly abandoned them in exchange for down time in Hubbards.  I did intend to write my last prompt on Saturday but I just didn’t get around to it.  I was too busy enjoying this:



My friends and I had a stunning weekend.  We had a scrumptious lobster dinner at the Shore Club, lounged at our Inn on the patio with a breath-taking view of Hubbards Cove drinking wine, laughing, talking and marveled at sun set.  Before long it was time to hike around the corner, back to the Shore Club and cue up for the Matt Mays show.  I have had the good fortune of seeing him play several times but this particular show was, by far, the most outstanding, the most fun.  I attribute it mostly my companions and to the venue because I always have fun there, it’s impossible not to.  The show itself was a hell-on-wheels rock ‘n’ roll show’.  Young River warmed up the stage and got the crowd primed and are quite good all on their own.  As soon as they were finished we took a few large steps and ended up right in the front for Matt Mays.  While it is true that I the next morning my ears were still ringing from being so close to the front monitors, I was ridiculously stuffed up dangerously close to black lung from the smoke machine but my heart was happy.  There is something heartening about Matt’s music, something that sounds like … well … home.  It feels like home to me and offers the sense that I am right where I belong.  Plus, you can belt the tunes out good and loud in a live setting, even if the long skinny fringes of the singer’s swanky black jacket are poking out your eyes and he’s standing on your purse as he sings into the crowd on the mere edge of the gear box the monitors were resting on.  Needless to say, we left the venue happy and sweaty and elated.  Arriving back to work Monday morning was a slap in the face because I was still slightly jubilant from the weekend away.  It was hard to re-adjust to reality after the overwhelming sense of peacefulness I felt in Hubbards, because I was with warm-hearted humans, because I was breathing easy, because I was in a drama-free zone and I was content.  Best weekend getaway in recent memory.  It was much needed and deeply appreciated by all involved.

On Thursday night is also worth mentioning a small delight.  I was sitting at The Carleton having a drink with my friend Heather.  I was seated at the end of the bar by the entrance and a group of people caught my attention when they entered.  I after doing what I’m sure was a tripe take, he shot me a smile.  I looked at Heather and said, “Is that Charlie Sexton!?”  She shrugged at me and sipped her beer but I was determined to find out.  It turns out it was.  I flexed up my the gonads to cart myself over and say hello.  The singer of 80’s hits like ‘Beats So Lonely’ and ‘Impressed’ towered over me, still sporting those perfect cheekbones, he was quite delighted I knew who he was.   I stood and conversed with him for a few minutes, why he was in Halifax, what he’s been up to and a little about the Arc Angels project he did that I love, he has warm hands and a kind disposition.  What a neat thing to have happened.  Completely random and quite cool. 

So this self-imposed writing hiatus is a little bit painful but my days are long this week and by the time I get home my brain is mush and I don’t really have a spare minute to create anything.  I do scribble, words, thoughts, ideas, and names but it isn’t the same.  I look forward to Friday being over and having five whole days off to relax and open my mind back up to all things creative.  I’m itching to finish ‘Large-Hearted’, so that’s a goal.  Fingers crossed.

I’ll take it on faith.

In propinquity,

Nic

3 comments:

  1. CHARLIE SEXTON SMILED AT YOU??????????????

    *runs around screaming*

    Yikes, almost lost my cool there ... Nic, you remain one of the bravest people I will ever know; Ter might have approached the icon, but I would have sunk into my beer and hated myself forever after for missing the opportunity. We LOVED Charlie in the day.

    What a glorious start to your magical weekend. I am so glad you took the time to breathe and be present, even as I sympathize with your lot on returning to "real" life this week. Hang in there; it's half-past hump day and the writing will wait.

    Is it hot in here or am I dying from your brush with fame?

    *fans self*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! He did smile, several times during our small conversation. He's still pretty cool. Are you still fanning yourself? ;)

      Delete
  2. Yah, when I think about it, and it's not a change of life power surge, either!

    ReplyDelete