Friday, August 16, 2013

Late To The Party



Today’s prompt (which took me more like 20-25 minutes to write instead of 10 because I was writing as I worked) is to write a scene using an unreliable narrator and give her a cat.

This is what came:

Late To The Party

I promised I would go but I lied.  Well, I didn’t lie per se, I did plan to go but when the time came to embark on the journey to the undesired destination, I flaked. The best decision was to stay home in my sweats, listen to music and scroll through hundreds of delicious recipes on Pinterest that I want to try but will never make.  As you can clearly see, I am quick to make promises I can’t keep.  I admit, I have no follow through. 

I was supposed to be there by 7:30pm.  It is now 8:23pm.  My phone is set on vibrate and is lighting up like a Christmas tree;  texts, voicemails, Facebook messages, tweets, all boasting the same query, “Where ARE you!?”  I delete each notification as I skim without really reading.  Then voice mail. 

Margaret was first, “Nellie Briggs!  How dare you desert your …”

Delete.

Then there was Carol, “I keep telling myself that you’re probably just running late.  Having a wardrobe malfunction or are stuck in traffic.   You better …”

Delete.

And Janine spat out a sour tone, “I can’t believe you aren’t here.  How selfish …”

Delete.

And of course Dawn, my best friend in the whole entire world, “Congratulations Nell, you win.  Never will I ever do a single thing for you again, ever!  You exhaust me and I’m really disappointed this time more than all the other times that you promised you’d show and up and didn’t.  You are a terrible friend, Nellie.  Oh, happy birthday.  The party I threw for you was lovely.”

Replay message.

Delete.

Dawn.  We have been through every major life event together, college, botched life plans, illness, silliness, sadness, celebration, bad boyfriends, bad hair and broken hearts.  Her cat is the almost twin sister to my Marbles, a lazy blue eye-d Ragdoll kitty with a silky color-point coat.  Even she is looking at me with disappointment. 

If these people were my friends they would accept me for who I am.  They should know I have loner tendencies and that I prefer solitude to crowded places and that I like to observe instead of being the center of attention.  I am not adventurous or spontaneous, I work my guts out all day and I just like to relax and take it easy.  How is that wrong?!  I know I can be insensitive to the hardships and demands of others but I live my life for me and do what I want and if I don’t want to do something that’s my choice and no one else’s so they can suck lemons.  Plus, how many other people accept a Facebook invite and say they are going to some stupid Scentsy party or a baby shower and don’t actually go?  Millions.  I’m not the only flake.

Yeah, saying that out-loud does make me sound like an asshole, doesn’t it?

Oh well.  C’est la vie. 

**

TGIF!  I just made plans with my friend Colleen tonight and am contemplating a family gathering tomorrow that is a road trip away.  Feeling a little blue, left over from yesterday and I'm really behind in my sleep but I'm happy the weekend is upon us and next week is a four day week for me leading up to my overnight away in Hubbard to see Matt Mays with friends.  Mmm lobster dinnnner.

I wish you peaceful easy feelings and lots of laughs with those you love.

In propinquity,
Nic



3 comments:

  1. Was it wrong of me to laugh at the end of this piece? I was actually dismayed on discovering it was her birthday party she bagged on; that's truly inconsiderate. Dunno why I laughed - probably in disbelief at her cheek!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She's a bit of a dick, I'd say you laughed in disappointment.

      Delete
    2. Good call. I'll take it. Nice job channelling someone who is the complete opposite of you, incidentally - very well done indeed!

      Delete