Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Drag The Past Out Into The Light


Drag The Past Out Into The Light

what emerges from the past is revelatory

our first frenzied happenstance
stirred a lively correspondence
drove an ardent but naive tangle

I was a little shy and a touch earnest
you were far-flung and acutely offhand

oblivious
I dug in deep
you feigned sincere
for a selfish agenda

we rose
we lingered
fleetingly

our last impassioned encounter
sped toward imminent disaster

you only wanted the pieces of me

the unsung pieces
those not narrative
the informal pieces

anxiety quickly replaced affection
sorrow devoured the goodness

what surfaced from your vague intentions
facades revealed by premeditated deceit
occasioned my sad irrepressible future

pitted against the one that you love
a dire conversation is long awaited

yet never transpires

even in all of its predicted nonsense
it most certainly turns into something

a punishment for love is an empty apology

do not drag the past out into the light
he said with clear conceited calculation
you are not the one for me

do not condescend me with your concern
I replied with my frozen nightmare heart
you are not good enough for me

**

Writing prompt this time around was, ‘use a song lyric to inspire a poem’.  I have had U2’s One stuck in my head for days and the line I used to title my poem and used as the spring board jumped out at me.  I didn’t intentionally set out to be morose or melancholy; it’s just where the Muse moved me.  You can’t challenge His direction, right?

It’s the only thing I managed to write all weekend and it came in dribs and drabs.  I couldn’t find the steam over the last three days to do any serious writing but it was important that I at least scribble.  My marbles were still pretty much kaput and I actively used the time to fill the well by attending a soulful Sunday afternoon grooving to a Mellotones in the Public Gardens.  The band played in the bandstand under a beautiful blue sky and billowing clouds.  I marveled at the delighted audience, seniors, hippies and children dancing in the grass.  It was a feel-good afternoon that served my spirit well. 

Yesterday I did as I said I would and braved my first ever bridge walk.  I walked the length of the MacDonald Bridge, spanning the Halifax harbour, connecting Dartmouth to Halifax.  The span was closed to traffic leaving it free for pedestrians to stroll.  While black clouds loomed, thunder rolled and chain lightening shot through the sky, I walked.  Mid-way across, the wind picked up matching my pounding heart, well aware I was up high over deep water.  Pleased with myself for actually walking all the way across I challenged myself to return via the bike path on the outside of the bridge, putting me closer to the edge, more aware of the water below.  I came upon a message spray-painted on the sidewalk half way back that said, ‘conquer your fear’.  Even though my heart was pounding in my ears I smiled because that’s exactly what I was working toward doing.  Baby steps, one thing at a time.  I felt exhilarated when I finished.  I am proud of myself for doing it.  To many, walking across the bridge is no big deal.  It was for me and I can humbly announce I dominated the task!  So cool.

One of these days I will get re-focused on my prose pieces.  God willing.  But, is there any hurry?  You can’t rush creativity.  As they say, Rome wasn’t built in a day.

Be nice to others.  Think before you speak.  Wear kindness.

In propinquity,

Nic

3 comments:

  1. Yet ANOTHER beautiful rendering of a dissolving love affair that ends with an empowering kick for the broken-hearted. I love the honesty of your poems, Nic. Again, brave work in brave words, plumbing your own experience to make poignant art.

    I bet Ter would applaud the bridge crossing more avidly than me; she has a real bugaboo about heights, so while I would merrily trip-trap over the bridge to Dartmouth, she would be white-knuckling the rail as she inched her way along. She'd make it, though, just as you did. My two beautiful courageous angels!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A little bit of this is from experience, a little bit of it is creativity. At the risk of sounding like a perfectly healed broken record, it is a benefit to my creative integrity to remain honest.

    I almost went for a walk on the bridge today (for fun and with traffic) because my plans fell through but I wrote instead. If Ter ever makes it to Halifax, we'll inch across together. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Always better to write than risk your life, lol.

    Art without honesty is just a cash grab.

    ReplyDelete