Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Happy Accident



Happy Accident

Serendipity.  It was the first word; I swear on my wee little life, the first word I saw when I opened the dictionary.  Today’s writing prompt: write a story that starts with a word you pick out of the dictionary at random.  What are the odds that my eyes would fall arbitrarily on a word defined as the faculty or phenomenon of finding valuable or agreeable things not sought for?  It was pleasant surprise, very serendipitous in fact.  The universe somehow magically manages to connect the dots with happy accidents, like me finding such a fortunately ironic word for a writing prompt exercise, like Isaac Newton’s famed apple dropping from a tree that led him to his musings about the nature of gravitation or like my friend Nan reluctantly attending a wedding reception only to meet the love of her life.  She snuck into the tent out in the middle of a field in New Ross and quietly sat herself at the most inconspicuous table in the back.  She hated her friend’s bride with the fire of a thousand suns but couldn’t bring herself to actually miss what would most likely be the most important day of his life.  While she dressed herself in a simple summer dress and sling back shoes she reminded herself that it is more important to support your loved ones and not judge.  As long as Jack was happy, who was she to disagree.

Under the big top and twinkly lights Nan sat with her legs crossed sipping champagne with a strawberry bobbing at the bottom of the flute  listening to the wedding band play a pleasant version of ‘Stand by Me’.  A voice spoke close to her ear, in a husky masculine tone, “Friend of the bride or the groom?”

Nan stifled a gasp from the chill the mystery man sent down her bare spine.  She cleared her throat and slowly turned to meet her table companion, “The groom.  You?”

He flashed a smile that near blinded her, “Blushing bride.”

Nan’s reply flew nervously out through her lips, “Sorry to hear that.”

Playful laughter erupted from her table’s handsome and unwelcome guest, “Tell me how you really feel?”  He extended his hand and introduced himself, “Carson Morrow, pleasure.”

She took his hand and watched while he placed a soft kiss on the top of her fingers, “Nan Forbes, likewise.”

He stood, straightening out his disheveled tie and looked down to her, “Care to dance, pretty girl?”

It took her a long time to answer because in that one moment staring up at him, she fell in head over heels in love, claiming his eyes destroyed her, “I’d love to.”

And they danced; all night, all the way into the next day and the next.  Serendipity in action. 

I guess my writing prompt isn’t so much a story as it is the account of Nan’s new flourishing romance.  I am so pleased for her, such happenstance to have found Carson on a night when she was certain would be miserable.   Much the same as it was some kind of karmic fate I settled my eyes on serendipity when I sat down to write today.

**

I missed yesterday’s writing prompt because I wasn’t feeling well.  I crashed after work with a raging headache and so I didn’t get anything down.  If time permits today, there may be a double dose of Teapot but if not I won’t beat myself up too much.  Today’s was light and fortunate.  Landing that word is exactly its definition.  Too cool.

Tomorrow is my Friday which I’m happy about.  I look forward to a three day weekend and am happy that it’s finally Hubbards weekend!  I plan to have coffee and chatter with my pal Heather tomorrow after work and I may even get a card tag to Ru out seeing as I got one from her yesterday with a hilarious quote on the cover.  I also received a lovely card from Erica too that meant a lot to me, it feels good to be loved.

I’ve had my soup and soon it’ll be time for green tea and my pear.  Three more hours of this work day and I can go enjoy the sun. Yippee!

I wish you happy accidents all day long.

In propinquity,
Nic


1 comment:

  1. "Sorry to hear that." Bwahahahahahaha! Nice work, Nic. I like what this writing prompt exercise is doing by helping you with character development and dialogue. Are you having fun with it? 'Cause it's sure fun to read your output.

    ReplyDelete