Sunday, August 18, 2013

Arena


I am day behind on my writing prompts because yesterday I attended an annual family function which required road tripping.  I scribbled a tiny bit but I am giving myself permission right now for a do-over. I found it hard to write on the move, distracted by the gorgeous scenery en route to New Glasgow, NS, the radio and car conversation.  I'm a little tired and headachy so this isn't my best effort, it's loose and sloppy but I wrote something down and that's all that matters.

The prompt was for the scene to take place in an arena, here's what came:

Arena

I have traveled through some of the most miserable parts of the world to be here tonight in this arena.  Our last show of a long grueling world tour, I can finally retire the vanity required to climb into the spotlight and deliver what the masses pay good hard-earned money to see; antics, blood, and in turn they leave the echo of adoration.

The crew is dismantling our set.  The rest of the band has gone back to the bus but I sometimes like to take a seat and watch them work.   They converge like a beautiful, well-oiled machine, flawless and coordinated.  Observing their concise movement akin to a covert military maneuver.  I am awash with gratitude.  It’s gripping to watch them pull apart what they had only just built for me so that I can work for a few small hours.  I am indebted to these busy bodies for erecting my office, for having my back, for making me look good, for creating the largest part of an audience’s experience, for thinking on their feet.  For example, we pulled into this one town in Europe expecting to present a full frontal rock show and the venue was an old church.  Amidst all of the confusion, they quickly scaled the set back and turned God’s former house into a stunning Heaven for a thousand fans.  No easy feat but they did it.  For us.  They remind me to stay humble.  They are that good. 

I am watching them in awe and Gaz Dale, our tour manager approaches, “Great show tonight, Boss.  I thought you might be hungry so I had someone run out and grab you an onion bagel with vegetable cream cheese,” he hands me the brown bag and looks down on the crew from the top row of the lower bowl,  “You good?”

“Oh yeah, I’m just transfixed watching the guys tear down.  I just love them.  Know what’s amazing to me, Gaz?”

“What’s that, Boss?”

“This very arena, so many of the greatest bands in the world have played here, Pearl Jam, Bruce Springsteen, Rolling Stones, Neil Young, Motorhead, even the Doors in their day.  It’s mind-blowing to know that this space has been used over and over again, filled with energy, ear-splitting noise, the raw hum of an excited crowd and people who work tirelessly to create something larger than life.  Like these guys.”

“And the beat goes on.  So uh, you ready to rock ‘n’ roll?”

Gaz is anxious to hit the after party because he answers me in song lyrics, that’s what he does.  “You go on ahead.  I’m going to sit here for a little while longer, eat my bagel and hang with the crew.”

“Boss, there are a lot of people waiting for you to celebrate.”

“They can wait.  Right now, I am celebrating them.”  I nod to the crew and bite my bagel.

**

That's all she wrote.  Now, I will work on today's prompt.  Not sure now much steam I have left but I'll give it a whirl.  Isn't really a prompt.  She says to turn your paper sideways and write, even with lines.  I can write anything I want.  Let's see how it goes.

In propinquity,
Nic


3 comments:

  1. Cool perspective on the subject, Nic! It reminded me of the blurb Nick Rhodes wrote after a DD gig in NYC back in 2005; he, too, stayed behind after the show, not so much to watch the crew dismantle (and, gods forbid, be grateful for them), but to reflect on the show and the crowd. It was a nice piece of work, as is this one. Here's to the gang who put up the stars!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You'd have liked either angle me thinks, I considered a hockey scene but I don't have enough of the lingo etc down to make it believable. So, I went with the rockers. ;)

      Delete
    2. LOL! Oh, you could have written without the lingo - imagine going to a hockey game on a first date. He's a hockey nut and she knows nothing about it but this guy is reeeeally cute ...

      Delete