Thursday, August 22, 2013

The Ring


The Ring

I lost myself somewhere in the darkness.  Just for a second.  I like to think of it as a little hiccup in my autobiography, nothing shocking, nothing out of the ordinary, and nothing to be ashamed of.  It happens to everyone; sadness will creep in, tarnish your smile and truncate your happiness.  It is temporary, like a writer falling to writer’s block.  It is an interval for them to replenish the well of inspiration, the same kind of idea for me, but someone ordinary with an aversion to activity and proclivity for uninterrupted introversion, a time-out, a mere moment to make room for more joy.  I am inching closer to contentment every day, moving further into the light; just a blip, a wrong turn, a minor setback.  I am on my way.

It is a beautiful day outside in my miniature courtyard retreat.  I like the sense of seclusion so close to the city scape.  The hum of morning traffic just beyond my backyard fence and the shade of tall willowed trees, I feel safe but not alone.  This morning I coil up in my weepy lounge chair with a cup of vanilla oolong tea and take in the tranquil trickle and colours of my koi pond, I take refuge in their hues; midnight blacks, bright reds, creamy yellows, electric blues.  I place a little food in my hand and slowly lower it down into the water to watch them swim to nourish themselves right from my palm.  When I draw my hand out I am aware of the ring on my finger.  I still haven’t taken it off. 


The ring, a gold wire wrap design adorned with a single Swarovski pearl is all I have left to remind me.  The ring, a glimmer of hope, of possibility, a line to the past, where my heart is, where my grace resides.

**

This is all I could muster after ten minutes on the prompt.  Today's was to write a scene that uses the following words: wire, pond, truncate.  That's why you'll see each of them intalicized.  I wasn't going for quantity, I was aiming for quality. I hope there's a bit of quality to ten minutes of scribbling.  It's short but sweet.  Maybe like me?

It's my Friday!  Yay!  I'm hitting the big city tonight to visit with my pal Heather and then hope to enjoy a rainy day off tomorrow being leisurely with pens, paper, books, the remote and preparing for my night away in Hubbards.  Two more sleeps!

Happy Thursday!

In propinquity,
Nic

1 comment:

  1. I aspire to write prose as poetic as you do, Nic. This is a lovely, tender, poignant piece. You hit the "quality over quantity" mark, but it's also an impressive word count for a ten minute interval. To evoke such imagery and sensation in so little time is evidence of a true gift.

    ReplyDelete