Thursday, July 25, 2013

Where The Possibilities of Humiliation & Failure are Ample

Where The Possibilities of Humiliation & Failure are Ample

it is a dangerous arena, love
an unruly action, to love
a reverie to submit to, to be loved

you sing for them, your lovers
we read to them, our paramours
they trounce us, the Muses

in love’s amphitheater
a procession to up-end all illusions
pageantry of strange beauties

to prepare you for the firing squad
to show you how to dodge the bullets
to set you up to face heart starvation

it is a dangerous arena, love
it is a precarious quandary, love
it is unwarranted mischief, love

love

the place where the promise of
humiliation and failure are ample

exposed hearts be wary, take heed
eager accomplices, become ensnared

in the madness, to endure forever

**

Something more inspired by the one and only Leonard Cohen.  The title of this poem is a direct quote from the interview he did with Jian Ghomeshi.  I stumbled onto it after learning Ghomeshi will be a headliner for this year’s Word On The Street book and magazine fair, reading from his critically acclaimed book, 1982 (which I STILL need a copy of but will wait until August 6th for the trade paperback edition to come out).  Excited by the news and penciling the date in my calendar so I don’t miss it, I browsed Jian’s website and found the interview.  Mid-way through I started writing this little poem, another little writing exercise to help keep my head above water.  I’m slowly moving back into my prose.  I wrote a little more on ‘Large-Hearted’ yesterday.  I wasn’t feeling especially well in the afternoon and started to daydream about being home, curled up and resting when my lonely brain stumbled on a revelation for the story.  It came as a wee flash so I did the responsible thing; I opened up the document and started typing despite feeling light-headed and queasy.  I was still at my work desk so I was required to be lucid and awake, keeping busy was the best way to distract myself from the yuck.  I’m pretty sure that I have completed the framework of the story and found its ending but I now have the task of fleshing it out and editing before it can be shared.   Watch this space.  In the meantime, the poetry is free-flowing.  I’ve built up a bit of a reserve now.  Most of them still need a bit of work and will be blogged shortly.

I’m still not feeling one hundred percent myself today and it’s raining like a bitch outside, it’s been wet all week in fact and there’s no sign of sun until at least Sunday if we’re lucky.  This summer’s weather has been undesirable.  Between week long stretches of nothing but rain that morph into record-breaking heatwave-ish days, it’s been fairly uncomfortable.  When it rains, outdoor activities are limited and when it’s so hot and humid that you can’t breathe, outdoor activities are also limited.  I long for a nice stretch of warm, true summer weather, sunshine, a warm breeze and enjoying it, outdoors.  Is that too much to ask for?  If any of you have an in with Mother Nature, can you see what you can do about my request?  I’d be most grateful.

Perhaps I’ll peek more at ‘Large-Hearted’ after this blog is complete, since it’s fairly quiet on the work front.  You watch, I say that now but as soon as I turn to my pages, it’ll get bonkers busy.  Murphy’s Law.

Enjoy your day.  Pay a kindness forward.

In propinquity,
Nic




6 comments:

  1. Ahhhh ... Nic. I'm appreciating Leonard Cohen more and more, thanks to your worship of him. I must be feeling a bit downtrodden in the optimism department, though, because, much as I love this poem and totally get the title, today I miss my air-brushed and whimsical in-love-with-love Bean. Yep, love is a minefield that leaves carnage in its wake. Trust it not, for it may turn on the unsuspecting ... but it can also bring out the best in those who are in it. Love is the best feeling one can have in the moment. It only gets sticky when we look forward or behind, or when broken egos get involved (which, granted, is most of the time).

    Why are the simplest concepts the hardest to put into play?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fear not, Ru. The poem may have followed a dismal path but that is not the song in my heart. I am still whimsical in my heart of hearts and do love love, I was just following the creative path I was directed to by Cohen himself.

      Love, to me, isn't a simple concept, it's the most complex. That is why some of the best art in the world is about dissecting, deconstructing, understanding, feeling, losing and making love. That in itself, to me, is an artistic miracle. That after thousands of years, we are still trying to understand and celebrate the true essence of love. I love that.

      Delete
  2. From my perspective, you are both right. To follow your heart is always the best course of action, no matter the outcome. The challenge is to live with the outcome. Here is where we learn the lessons. I have loved many times, many people, every different type of relationship,on many levels. I have soared to the heavens with joy and felt the depths of suffering as if in hell. I try to remember that I am a spiritual being having a human experience. Every time, after the dust settles, even though I say I will not, I always love again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love is always the right path. Sappy ol' me will always believe that. :)

      Delete
    2. This crusty old Virgo will always agree with that, too! The bravest souls are those like you and Ter, who love again and again and again, no matter how much pain erupts from the last time. You guys have a handle on the purity of purpose where the emotion is concerned. I also "get" it, but I don't trust it enough to put it into play.

      Simple as it may be, it's curious how many generations of artists and philosophers have spent their lives dissecting the concept and still the debate rages on ...

      I love you guys.

      Delete