Friday, July 19, 2013

Love Is a Poisoned Confection



Love Is A Poisoned Confection

Love is a poisoned confection.

A slim novel of false romantic narratives.

Love is eloquent, impeccably rendered by forlorn dreamers.

Creative reflection of a buoyant heart’s desires.

Love is a condition, septic, it’s only antidote, proof.

Foolish odds commandeering sound reason.

Ante.  Danger.  Pageant.  Peril. 

Hands tremble for all that is promised in a lit window.

Scent.  Smile.  Touch.  Judgment.

Souls crumble where fleeting beauty had lain.

Break.  Fracture.  Wounded.  Heartbreak warfare.

Love is a poisoned confection.

We alone consume.

Blindly.

Together.

**

I was in need of a writing exercise to kick-start my Muse.  While reading Erin Morgenstern’s blog, I was inspired by the above photo and decided to try and write a little something, in her line by line style to see what I could come up with.  It felt good to just play with one line at a time; a little Friday scribble that puts me that much closer to the meat and potatoes of the three stories occupying my creative brain all at once.  It makes me dizzy, (insert your little joke here) to listen to all these voices all at one time.

It’s Friday, yippee!  It’s also the day that Canada Post releases their Tragically Hip postage stamp.  PUMPED to buy and affix them to my card-tag envelopes to Ruthie.  It’s also a three day weekend for me, vacation day on Monday and I’m looking forward to spending some of that day with my dear friend Colleen bumming around.  I’m thinking that I will be doing something artist date-ish tomorrow but haven’t decided what adventure I’d like to pursue.  Perhaps a sail on a tall ship.  I’ve got a little bit of shenanigans to get into with my ladies tomorrow evening too.  So, I’m anticipating to have a full, fun three days away from my work desk.  And to write.  Must write.

However you spend your weekend, I wish you happiness, fulfillment and a peaceful heart.

In propinquity,

Nic

4 comments:

  1. My favourite line:

    "Hands tremble for all that is promised in a lit window." A Van Gogh painting if ever one was written!

    I really like the intimation that lovers are equally deceived, perhaps willingly so. Like a hunger for chips and ice cream when we're depressed, we hunger for love in whatever incarnation we can get it, even if it's bad for us in the long run.

    I've picked up Hip stamps for outgoing tag, Bean! if that's not love, I dunno what is, lol!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You digested that one perfectly! I had fun writing it despite feeling miserable yesterday.

      I got Hip stamps too! Well, I bought Stella stamps at the first post-office but when I went to the mall later I got them. AND, in August, they are releasing Robertson Davies stamps!!

      Delete