Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Jackson Pollock's Floor



Jackson Pollock’s Floor

Frank built the Guggenheim
a grand mastered structure
on an uncertain foundation
a convulsive innovation spelled
in an inverted ziggurat scheme

all this

so that Jackson Pollock might
concentrate a lavender mist for
a taut composition on the floor
to mount on a clean (W)right wall

full impasto/abstract expression
chance effect/unique freedom

drip drip drip
syntheticresinpaintalkydeenamel
greensilverblueblackyellowmarine

so that Jackson Pollock might
heavily influence a discerning eye
stir a little bit of pride in your protest
art built for a vast emotional aftermath

large-scale retrospective/comprehensive exhibit

it is romantic to recoil from the images
have stark dreams in the open rotunda

name them/number them/sell/parade
manipulation of art/careful compliment

those with heightened superior gifts
settle into your quaint country-sides
jangle the gables of your suburbs
force a tight perimeter around your cities

so that you might
walk the length of Pollock’s spotted floor
in your bare feet with your soul showing

**

Headstrong hump day!  My marbles are all falling out and I’m desperate for a little bit of outside sunshine (yes, it’s sunny, or partly here) and quiet.  I’ve got an hour left of my work day and then I think it might be beneficial to park myself somewhere with some tea, a nibble and read my book.  I started reading ‘Dear Girls Above Me’ by Charlie McDowell last night and got through half.  I forced myself to stop reading and turn my light out.  It’s funny and fresh and I am enjoying the male narrative in a modern setting that utilizes the aspect of social media and worldly romance.  I also bought ‘The Birth House’ by Ami McKay.  I loved her second novel, ‘The Virgin Cure’.  I am reading her work backwards but hers is worth reading.  Her writing is stunning. 

I also discovered I had more vacation days left at work than I thought I did.  Woo hoo!  I’ve submitted a request to make the Labor Day weekend an extended one and then for my December birthday day off.  I enjoyed having it off last year so why break tradition.  I’m a Wednesday child and this year, my 40th, falls on a Wednesday.  Woe seems appropriate, no?

I polished this arty poem while I ate a bite of lunch today between phone calls and emails.  Hugh Jackman tweeted a photo of Jackson Pollock’s floor the other day and it just stuck with me, I couldn’t stop thinking about it so I wrote this poem.  I am fascinated by his artwork and always find it sad that someone with his natural artistic aptitude and his penchant for changing the rules, he died so young.

Pasta for dinner tonight?  Why not.

Stay smart.

In propinquity,

Nic

4 comments:

  1. This poem is like a Pollock painting - if I stare at it long enough, will it start to make sense? Though I do like the last line; the imagery there is as stunning as the metaphor.

    I'm not much for big words today. A long week is only half over and my vocabulary is shrinking in kind.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mine too. Hence the polish and no actual writing. I went for a quiet dinner and read before coming home. I couldn't even muster a decent card tag.

      Delete
    2. Speaking of which, watch your mailbox :)

      Delete
    3. Will do! And, since tomorrow is Friday, I'm thinking that I can do a much better job in a card. Three days off does that to a desk dweller. ;)

      Delete