Friday, July 26, 2013

Lonesome Thinking


Lonesome Thinking

I like to eat late
ponder sympathetic stories
and contemplate furtive plans
to prevent catastrophes

my driving thoughts
weighted down by passengers
those rare and remarkable
torn by loyalty and ambition

and then

the ever-present conundrum
to condemn or defend

I like to drink early
deliberate forfeited deceits
and envision surreptitious tactics
for averting calamities

and I might
heave a sigh

allusive but never aloof

I like to forecast
the slow and elegant rise
of exposed situations belonging
to the pained and fraudulent

quixotic philosophies
idealistic rehearsals

I am lonesome when I think
I am silent when I speak


I like to be right but offer nothing

**

I learned a few interesting literary morsels today.  It was reported that Jane Austen will soon appear on the £10 note in the UK.  How frackin’ cool is that?!  I’m almost inclined to ask a UK friend to send me one, with proper compensation of course, just to have one.  I think it’s a marvelous idea.  Cha-ching!

I also discovered that Margaret Atwood has completed a libretto for operatic production that chronicles the tragic life of legendary Canadian poet and actor, Pauline Johnson.  This is super exciting because I know very little about her so I’m compelled to learn more in light of this outstanding news.  I doubt I’ll be in attendance for any of the performances but anything is possible.  Seeing a live opera is on my bucket list.

I confess I didn’t do anything in the way of editing ‘Large-Hearted’.  I was going to last night but I watched a disturbing documentary instead, about a home invasion/murder in Cheshire, Connecticut.  I kept trying to turn it off because it was turning my stomach but I endured the full scope of the story to its end.  It was a complicated tale that involved the death penalty and I’m not even sure I fully believe the details of the crime.  I also don’t think the small town police force did everything they could to save the mother and two daughters who were killed.  My heart ached for them and I truly hope they have found peace.  Egads.  I normally don’t watch that sort of thing but I was too tired to change the channel and got sucked in.  It’s scary, the evil that lurks in this world, it also serves as a stark reminder to seek out the goodness life offers.  Bad things happen to good people and you wish to God you could understand why.  Appreciating life is the only source of survival.  And love.

Yay for Fridays!  I discovered I have a beer in my fridge this morning.  So, tonight, I’m going to go home, change into my comfy clothes, fire up my ‘Large-Hearted’ playlist and start working.  Weather permitting; I am going to take in the Halifax Pride parade tomorrow.  It’s the happiest and most colorful parade I’ve ever seen and rivals every other one we have in this city.  I hope the sun shines so everyone can get out and celebrate.  After the parade, I figure I’ll sit with my pages and keep working.  Eavesdrop a little, people watch and think.  An artist date is necessary.  I look forward to it.

Coming up:  next weekend will mark the 118th birthday of Halifax/Dartmouth.  In celebration, I’ll be taking in Joel Plaskett’s show on the Dartmouth waterfront avec fireworks.  At least, that’s the plan so far.  And as always, weather permitting.  And THEN, the countdown will be ON for Matt Mays in Hubbards at the Shore Club.  Righteous!  I look so forward to that night away from the city.

Have a great weekend, lovely humans.  Practice random acts of kindness and be good to yourself.

In propinquity,

Nic

3 comments:

  1. What's the story behind this poem, Bean? I really like how it defines the mind of the poet and evokes matching imagery.

    You are so brave. Avoiding live opera is on my bucket list, and a Margaret Atwood-penned opera might be enough to send me shrieking into the night!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's partial autobiography, Ru. You know sometimes when your brain is brimming with creative things and thoughtful opinions and your opponents of the world feel it necessary to 'always be right' which means you are 'always wrong' - despite the fact that you can intelligently back up your theories and/or stances on an issue or controversy? Yeah, that's this poem. And me. In short, I'm not as dumb as I look. I am not a knee-jerk reaction gal, I don't jump to conclusions or spit the first thing that comes to mind out of my mouth. I'm lonely sometimes in my position and instead of being the challenger I just shut up. Doesn't 'always' apply but it's been happening a lot lately. To conquer it, I put it in verse.

      Delete
  2. Most artists are natural obervers, hence a reluctance to voice an immediate opinion. Only those who are ruled by their egos are inclined to spout first and look stupid later.

    I recognized you in this one; you and a few others whom I know, all creative, all artistic, and all strangely silent when they could in fact blow a mouthpiece into the cosmos with a single well-placed line.

    My little Bean is growing up! I so proud!!

    ReplyDelete