Thursday, July 4, 2013

Knots


Knots

the length of a nautical mile
is identical to a minute of latitude

in uncharted waters

loops and kinks weaken strapping cord
old worn rope damaged by sunlight

at the bottom of the mountain

sore strained grieving muscles
latent trigger points overwrought

below aching flesh

the beautiful code of a versatile metaphor
interlaced with the mysteries of love

that beat in a heart

found loneliness precipitates ever-long
bare hands reach up for a speculative lift

to scale toward the Heavens

Northeast-bound bow heaving toward an address
stern slick and graceful for long uninterrupted hours

fully rigged sailing vessel asea

arms outstretched for the concluding embrace
the absence of substance pressing into bones

for remnants of human attachment

knots
troublesome

intricate arrangement of tender places
sudden intervention of constructive trust

knots
            they bind

they blind

**

So, here's the skinny.  I came home the last two nights determined to battle the block I'm currently experiencing.  The first night I read a bit of Carol Shields and Alice Munro while listening to Matt Epp and Diana Krall.  I then scribbled.  Last night I went for a walk on Rainbow Haven beach with my friend Donna to try and clear out the cobwebs.  I got the pant legs of my yoga pants wet because I couldn't outrun a wimpy wave.  It felt good.  Scribbled a little more. Tonight, I came home through this sudden humid heat-wave the east coast of Canada is experiencing ate gross hotdogs because it was too hot too cook much else and watched 'Tragically Hip in Bobcaygeon'.  Got goosebumps and maybe cried a little.  While trying to stay hydrated I pieced together the scribbles and came up with this poem.  Good, right?!

Get this.  While I still haven't managed to seep back into 'Large-Hearted' mode, I actually walked into TWO more story ideas.  What the french toast!?  One of the ideas scares me a little bit so I'm not sure how that one is going to go.  It stems from a dream I had not long ago.  The majority of my dreams of late have been twisted like pretzels.  I haven't been sleeping very well and so when I am sleeping I'm conjuring up all this insane garbage including revisiting an ex to discover he murdered someone and made art out of his victim's bones and this insane doctor injecting my niece with poison.  I'd be afraid to have them analyzed.  I mean geez.  The other one, which shocked me out of my sleep is going to be hard to write.  I don't know when I'll get to it but it'll come.  And, the other idea is light and fuzzy so fear not.

I'm melting so I must go re-fill my icewater and sit in front of a fan to stay cool until I go to bed to toss and turn.  Silver lining?  Tomorrow is Friday!  Yay!

In propinquity,
Nic







2 comments:

  1. Well, I'd say your, um, "issue" is with Large-Hearted specifically, as this poem is a wonderment of metaphor and imagery and a bunch of other hyperbolic accolades that my end-of-week brain cannot conjure at present. In which case, your protagonist is likely the one taking a break, especially as you've bumped into a couple more ideas in the interim. She'll be back. It's summertime, after all, and even fictional characters take holidays.

    The murdering ex dream may be obvious to anyone who watched The Following (which I did, for 4 episodes before I realized it was absolutely NO FUN to watch), as making murder into art was the serial killer's motivation. As for the poisoned niece ... well, only your subconscious knows what that's about.

    When you feel up to exploring either theme further, Nic, trust that fiction is a safe environment in which to do the very thing. It takes courage to go there, but Art is therapy, and once the experience is out of your system, you can either share it or kiss it goodbye. The decision whether or not to continue and/or go public with the final product is yours alone.

    Don't you love comments that run longer than the post??? *eye roll*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha your long-windedness is music to my proverbial ears. I'm late replying to this and since I've technically spent the better part of today with you (via your new story) I feel even more propinquitious toward you and your musings on trusting fiction. I really love the whole concept of 'Large-Hearted' but I think I got spooked momentarily writing two stories in one and maybe I made Zelda clam up as a result.

      PS - I LOVE The Following but you're right zero fun to watch. Stressful as hell.

      Delete