Sunday, September 8, 2013

Surf Sing Change

Brian Byrne, Sam Roberts, Matt Mays & Shaun Majumder
at Lawrencetown Beach as tweeted by Sonic Records

I attended an event last night, Surf Sing Change, at the Rebecca Cohn that may very well have been my favorite show of 2013.  It was a benefit put together by Byrne and his wife Tara, their OCD Collective in support of Nova Scotia Autism.  It was a two part event, during the day a surf camp was held at Lawrencetown Beach for autistic children and their families followed by a benefit concert in the evening featuring Brian Byrne, Sam Roberts, Matt Mays, the lovely Kim Harris and Shaun Majumder hosting.  They changed the format from having each artist take the stage solo to a songwriter's circle of sorts where they all sat together on stage taking turns singing down the line.  It created an intimate setting and grand all at once.  To be in a room full of fellow music lovers and supporters of a great cause with that calibre of talent playing together was a marvel.  So wonderful, for those not in attendance, you missed something really amazing.

Shaun Majumder is a funny funny man.  He came out first and engaged the crowd with a gut busting monologue taking warm jabs at Newfoundland(ers), Americans, our finance minster among other hilarities.  He was a fun-loving host who kept the pace of the evening light and on track.  But in truth, there may have been more talking, joking and widespread laughter than there were songs.  Nobody minded except maybe for a humble Sam Roberts who was on the receiving end of Shaun's comedy.  The stories shared, jokes told and songs sung were absolute perfection.

My motivation to go to this thing at all was to see Sam Roberts.  I have sadly missed every show he has played in Halifax and I LOVE Sam Roberts.  And, given the additional line-up, I didn't want to miss it because I knew it was going to be something special.  He played 'Hard Road' first which pleased me and on his second time around he pulled out 'Uprising Down Under' which just so happens to be my all-time Sam Roberts song.  I felt my whole body fill with goosebumps.  It was an incredible moment for me, someone who loves the song so much, to be present while Sam and Matt played it together.  It was absolutely stunning.  It was also accompanied by great stories and anecdotes about the two of them being in Australia while Sam was working on Chemical City and Matt was on a surf trip, coming together and talking shop.  There were so many moments like that for all of the artists throughout the night because they are all friends and have all played together in the past.  Songwriter's circles are profound experiences for music lovers.  It gives you such intimate insight into the songs that shape you.  It's really beautiful, it deepens the admiration and the respect you feel for the artists and strengthens the love of the music in a unique fashion.

Matt delivered 'Indio' which was supple and soulful acoustically compared to the guns blazing version I heard at his Shore Club show just the other week.  It's a treat to watch someone who rocks his guts out perched on a stool with an acoustic guitar sharing a side of himself and his songs you wouldn't see otherwise.  Matt is a humble, charming individual with a tender heart and humorous side that could easily rival Shaun.  It's nice to get a glimpse into his humanness and just listen quietly.  The setting was also fortunate because he shared a new song with the crowd.  He set it up by saying that some of his close buds hated it and broke into it.  Gorgeous song.  Just gorgeous.  After he finished and the applause quieted, I roared laughing because Brian Byrne piped up and said, "Your friends are idiots!  You need a new set of friends."  I look forward to him recording it, hopefully for a new record.  He ended his songs with 'City of Lakes' deemed from a story told as 'Land o' Lakes'.  Jokes flew, people.  They flew.  It's hard not to be proud of our hometown boy, he makes home sound beautiful.  Truly.

Brian Byrne was just incredible.  He brings a lot of heart to the table, a mountain of passion, a wealth of wisdom and stories, and his songs are wonderful.  I don't know all of the songs he sung but he did an awe-inspiring version of U2's 'All I Want Is You' (my favorite U2 song to be true) that morphed into 'Ruby Tuesday' and a touch of 'Sympathy For The Devil'.  His voice is raw and effecting, he wears his humble heart on his sleeve and was so appreciative of the artists coming on board, donating their time to something that for he and his wife was a mere idea that had transformed into the presentation we were privy to.  There was a lot of love in the room and it was largely in part to his belief and dedication to the cause.  He ended his songs with one called 'Beautiful You' that I came home and downloaded from iTunes because I loved it.  It will be in heavy rotation for some time come, I can assure you.

Kim Harris was a delightful addition to the cast of artists.  I talked to her later at The Carleton and told her that whenever she does a local show of her own we wanted to come.  I discovered that she did a few shows at HUFF and was bummed I missed them.  She has a gorgeous voice and her songs are stunning.  She sang a song she wrote about losing her mother and dedicated to a young woman she met back stage who just lost hers and that loss was being used negatively against her in a social setting.  For all of those reasons combined and having the guys and the audience participate to sing the roof off the Cohn with the end bit was emotional.  I predict great things for the lone female presence on the bill.  Kind-hearted and talented.  Remember her name, Kim Harris.  You will love her.

The evening was deemed ‘an open window to a kitchen party that you’ll never be invited to’.  Brutally accurate.  We were afforded to a rare glimpse into the inner circle of artists who are friends, have been friends and have illustrious histories combined and great sometimes hilarious stories to tell and harmless dirt to dish on each other.  It was magnificent.  Truly the place to be last night.  I was mesmerized from the atmosphere, moved by the music and ached from laughing.  I hope they do it again next year.

Afterward, I finally took in a Carletones show.  I hadn’t had the chance to see them with Adam Baldwin at the helm.  So glad I did and I look forward future shows.  That guy deserves fame all on his own.  He’s righteous. 

And with that, I’m off.  Sunday calls.

In propinquity,
Nic

3 comments:

  1. I'm delighted that you had such a profound experience while seeing Sam live. What a wonderful format for a gang of musicians in which to share and sing and exchange stories! I've never imagined such a thing - like Unplugged only way better!

    Ter and I are off to see Celtic Thunder tonight, a totally different sort of gig yet still a chance to be in the presence of live music and song. Being with performers of any ilk is always inspiring.

    Happy Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope Celtic Thunder was a kick! They are hitting Halifax too I believe. It's Monday and I'm still loopy from the inspiring night. Or, maybe it's just me! Ahahaha!

      Delete
    2. They were pretty darned good, Bean. I must lack the obligatory drop of Irish blood to make me appreciate them as Ter does (her paternal granny was Irish ... we think), as I don't get all pumped with the call to arms, but I like the story songs and even shed a tear at the sadder ones. Sheesh.

      Delete