Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Page 51


I decided to do a writing prompt today since it’s been a full day that I wrote the first 1001 words of ‘Too Much To Contain’.  I was busy yesterday at work and then went straight home to get ready for the first my first Zumba class of the fall session.  For the next 11 weeks, that will be my Tuesday night.  I did also stay up last night for the first episode of Sons of Anarchy but midnight is too late for this gal to stay up on a work night.  DVR will be it from now on.  

Today’s prompt was to take the closest book to you, turn to page 51 and make the first sentence your first line.  The closest book to me was ‘The Best of American Poetry 1988-1997’.  I turned to page 51 and found myself in the middle of a poem called ‘Garbage’ by A.R. Ammons, the line:  in your end is my beginning.

Here’s what I wrote (in poem form, again):

Page 51

in your end is my beginning

the sway of your wide-spread panic
a catalyst to compose my courageous soul
a Heartslave no more to an artless saboteur
unobstructed by the confines of strict margins

in your end is my beginning

a grave and liberating righteousness
sweet shock of escaping a miserable condition
to proceed from nowhere is an unnamable light
to advance without apprehension is peace

in your end is my beginning
in my beginning you end

**

That’s what ten minutes gave me today and while writing that I got a flash as how to begin writing the last scene of my story.  Crazy how that happens.

Back to work.  Back to scribbling.

And, on this anniversary of 9/11, remember to remember.  Remember to love and be peaceful.   Remember to be gracious and kind.  Remember those gone too soon and those left behind to mourn.

In propinquity,

Nic

1 comment:

  1. Augh! Another faboolus spontaneous masterpiece! This 10 minute timeframe is proving your genius for rousing powerful emotion with your work. I damn near stood up and cheered at the end of this one. "In my beginning you end". *bangs head on desk* How do you DO that???

    ReplyDelete