Saturday, September 7, 2013

Proceed With Dignity


Proceed With Dignity

all afternoon I think about it
how we were never meant to survive
we could kiss on the lips in the driveway
you drawing me closer by the silk blue scarf
you gave that is draped around my craned neck

“I like this man,” I thought, “so handsome and deliberate and curious.”

all afternoon I think about it
how when someone you want no longer needs you
how you dare to stubbornly demand a series of encores
vetoed by the difficult and silent remarks of your prey
the true Hunter who once required you ruthlessly for sport

“I love this man,” I thought, “a man fond of divorcing my poems and holding the world together with beautiful lies.”

all afternoon I think about it
how to proceed with dignity

**

It's Sam Roberts day!  The sun is shining and I'm preparing for a fantastic night out with Erica that will include a good meal, some laughs and conversation, spying on cute boys and some live music.  I was woken up this morning by some dummy who thought it was courteous to mow his lawn at 8am on a Saturday.  I do miss having a small forest of trees behind my house instead of a new and very close housing development.  It's a good thing that I'm easy going.  I got over it quickly and lounged in my bed re-watching S2 of Smash and daydreaming.

Today's poem is courtesy of a writing prompt I did a little while ago.  I was supposed to write a scene in a driveway that involved a blue scarf.  Mine came in the form of a poem.  And yes, as I typed it up, I did tweak it but just to firm it up.

Happy weekend, everyone!  I hope that you are spending your time with your favorite people and your hearts are happy.

In propinquity,
Nic

3 comments:

  1. Beautiful, as always. I continue to be amazed at your ability to produce such powerful imagery and emotion a) in ten minutes, b) on your freaking cell phone, and c) without fear.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I almost didn't share this one. It made me a little sad. But I thought, screw it, what's a little sorrow, my heart can take it. :)

    ReplyDelete