Wednesday, September 4, 2013

A Scribe's Skirmish


A Scribe’s Skirmish

writer’s conflict

the impossibility
of writing with

magnificence

contrasted with
the impossibility

of

abandoning
the challenge

writer’s conundrum

**

It's the last day of my quasi-vacation.  I had the long weekend and tacked two vacation days on the end to make a five day stretch off and boy did it fly by.  I honestly don't know where times goes.  Despite the wet weather, I had a pleasant rest and a bit of fun but it was mostly relaxing and good to replenish my spirit.  

I took in a play at Fringe, 'Go To Hell', my very talented banjo wielding relative Dawn Negus was in it.     It was an hour of constant laughter.  Smart and sharp witted writing by Michael Best and gut-busting performances by the whole cast.  Here is the Fringe program description:  Turns out, the Christians were right - all gays DO go to Hell.  Johnson, a self-absorbed gay lawyer dies rather ignominiously after a tussle with a mechanical bull goes horribly awry.  He finds himself in one circle of Hell, and immediately tries to negotiate a way out.  But when his best friend's soul is on the line, how far will he go?  A brand new twist on the classic 'make a deal with the Devil' story.  It did not disappoint.  I joined Fringe-goers in the tiny Bus Stop Theatre, beer in hand, finding it difficult to sip because I was too scared I might spit it out on the person in front of me, it was that funny.  So glad I didn't miss it.  And, being somewhat of a wimp, I almost opted to stay home because of the rain but I am glad I went.

Had I not gone, I wouldn't have ended up at The Carleton.  I considered a ton of options of where to eat on Labor Day Monday.  I was trying to be strategic so that I wouldn't be too far from the theatre, but I am a creature of habit and went where I feel at home.  I entered the bar, refuge from the wind and drizzle and walked into Dave Lowery's rehearsal for his show later that night as part of HUFF (the Halifax Urban Folk Festival).  What good fortune!  While I dined, I was lucky enough to hear a large portion of his show.  Some of you may remember him from bands like Cracker and Camper Van Beethoven.  The song 'Low' jog your memory?  Doesn't ring a bell?  You-tube it.  I am certain it'll sound familiar.  At any rate, it was all sorts of awesome.  And, it turns out, Dawn was singing back-up with him so that was double awesome.  First Charlie Sexton, then Dave Lowery, who is next!?  Hmm.

Sunday was a total veg day.  I caught up on a ton of DVR's movies.  I watched the biopic about Nelson Mandela's wife 'Winnie', Hugh Jackman sang mournfully to me in 'Les Mis', I watched HBO's 'The Girl' about the tumultuous relationship between Alfred Hitchcock and Tippi Hedren who starred in 'The Birds' and 'Marnie'.  I also took in my first Bond flick in years, 'Skyfall'.  I haven't seen Daniel Craig's 007 until now and wasn't completely sold but after 'Skyfall' I am convinced he's suitable.   I also watched my beloved Leonardo Dicaprio in 'J Edgar'.  And THEN, speaking of gorgeous Leo, I finnnnnallllly saw 'Gatsby'.  FINALLY!  Sheesh. It is FABULOUS.  I am still not one hundred percent sold on the modern music that is included but it was visually stunning and beautifully re-imagined by Baz Luhrmann.  It was perfection.  Leo as Gatsby was a masterful casting decision and Tobey Maguire was incredible and believable as Nick Carroway.  It's such an extravagant and tragic story but that green light socks my gut.  Hope.  It's powerful.  I can't wait to see it again.  So yeah, all caught up just in time for fall TV to soon begin.  

I'm currently prepping laundry and mulling over lunch options for tomorrow.  I am also going to comb through 'Large-Hearted' because I found some of my tense flops that need to be fixed.  I did manage to write a little bit on it and two writing prompts by hand since I've been off.  One is too personal to transcribe and the other one isn't worth sharing but I wrote so I'm okay with it.  And of course, the teeny poem above, written today while enjoying a sandwich and tea by my sunny window.  I also prepared Ruthie's birthday box to go in the mail tomorrow.  That was a challenge with Booger Cat lurking.  She went buck nutty when I pulled out the ribbon and kept her at bay while I snipped, wrapped and ribboned everything.  I placed everything in the box and went to my writing room to write a short note to explain my gifts only to go back and discover she'd gnawed at the ribbon a little, right on the packages!! Little bugger.  I had to doctor my ribbon as I was flush out.  So Ru, if you're reading this, I apologize!  Haha.  

Two days of work and then it's the weekend again, that'll be surreal.  I'm excited for it to get here though because Erica and I going to see Sam Roberts Saturday evening at the Rebecca Cohen.  Acoustic.  With Matt Mays (I hope, he canceled a gig in Cape Breton on Monday due to illness so I'm hoping he's feeling better to be there) and Brian Byrne.  Something to look forward to.

Editing and tea for me now.  

I hope you're smiling today.

In propinquity,
Nic


3 comments:

  1. I'm printing this poem for my office board when I get back to work. It's a perfect recognition of the conflict a writer faces - how to continue and how to give up? Sometimes I feel like one of those snakes who's eating her own tail as I try to solve the conundrum.

    And you hadn't seen Craig's 007 before now? SHAME ON YOU!!! Glad you liked Gatsby, though. I know what you mean about the music, but really, once I accepted its presence in the film, it worked for me.

    Cuddle the kitty for me. I'll forgive her for chewing on my birthday ribbon ... maybe ...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wrote this one on my cellphone on a recent commute thinking about that very thing, in direct relation to 'Large-Hearted' but it does apply to that universal writer's struggle.

    I know, I'm late to the Craig party. I will remedy that soon. ;)

    I'm STILL thinking about Gatsby now. It was just marvelous. And, I expected to like Les Mis more but Gatsby just floored me. Les mis was powerful but Gatsby got under my skin.

    Booger is bad! It was really really funny later but at the time I was frightfully miffed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Funny how most miffs are amusing in the rearview mirror, isn't it?

    I feel as you the same about Gatsby; I spent the whole summer thinking about it, hence the soundtrack being played ad nauseum.

    ReplyDelete