Tuesday, October 8, 2013

Steinbeck Wisdom & Other Meanderings


I was afraid to fall asleep last night and because I was I had a wicked restless night and was ornery when my 6am alarm sounded.  See, I was all set to wade my way through three stories that have been waiting in the wings AFTER Rudy’s was completed.  I started doing some work with Ruth Moody and that seemed to be going well and I was also making good notes for ‘Other Pearls’ but then I fell asleep Sunday night and that’s when things went sideways.  When I woke up Monday morning, story number four was present; it came in the form of a dream.  I was washing my hair and there they were plain as day in the front of my mind, the two sisters and their story.  The crux: one sister’s burden is the other sister’s blessing.  I don’t want to give anything else away or it would detract from the impact of the read.  The working title is ‘Burden’ and while there are three main characters, it is told from Judy’s voice, the sister who receives the blessing from Helen’s burden.  I won’t disclose information about the third character but she is what represents the burden/blessing. 

It is exciting to embark on this new journey, into a new world, getting to know new people and what motivates them.  I think part of my being overwhelmed is knowing that I will be soon training to move up and take on new responsibilities at work while my co-worker goes on maternity leave and I’m trying desperately to use the time wisely before I go deep into the left side of my brain.  Part of me is afraid I’ll have little time and/or energy for creative pursuits but I think once I am trained and settle into a routine I’ll bounce right back.  That’s my hope.  In the meantime, I have four new stories to write and I am starting with one that will likely pack an emotional punch.

Who knows, maybe once I’m finished these four, I’ll start going back through the ones I’ve written, edit them and maybe look into submitting them somewhere.  I may need an editor though.  That’ll be an undertaking.

It’s raining sideways today.  It’s grey, gloomy and there’s risk of getting caught in a swirl of autumn leaves. I’m content to be inside working, with cozy socks under my desk and green tea in my cup.  There’s also a bowl of Halloween goodies on my desk I brought in for everyone.  Since I have Zumba tonight and I’m generally trying to do better, I’ll work hard at resisting the sugar.  And in all of that, I’ll be hanging out in my noodle with the sisters.  Listening.  Observing.  Taking notes.

In propinquity,
Nic


2 comments:

  1. Nicole, where do you find these quotes and how is it that you always post one that answers my current conundrum???? This is GREAT advice from Steinbeck, so thank you a thousand times for posting it!

    It applies to your dilemma, too, having yet another story to write. You'll be in my boat, wondering if you'll ever type "the end" again. I'm going to aim for that one page a day and see what happens ... but I might enlarge my font, first :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I managed 1,016 words today, which works out to about 2 1/2 pages. And I was busy. Not a bad start. I have Steinbeck to thank for the arse kick. :)

      Delete