Wednesday, October 9, 2013

Rudy Redux

It isn't quite Thursday yet but here's a bit of literary 'throwback' for those of you who have read the last short story I posted titled, 'Too Much To Contain'.  When I was writing the 'big bad' this is the mask I emulated for Rudy's 'event'.  It scared the slippers off of me much like the act of violence did when it was in my dream, put them together and blammo! I hesitated on sharing because I wanted people to see it in their imagination without an aid but now that the majority of friendly readers have read and commented, I thought it okay to share.

Gives me chills.  


Egads.

I wrote a little bit more today on 'Burden'.  I'm curious about the direction I was led in today but I'm sure there's a perfectly good explanation.  Maybe I'm also writing out of order but we'll see.  It's complex and I want to write with abandon but it also requires a great deal of care.  It feels good, as Ruthie wrote about today in her blog, to have finished something and it also feels really amazing to still have more work to do on new projects.  Even when I am overwhelmed by the ideas I am grateful to have them at all.  

Gah.  That mask.

Off to buy books after work.  For gifts, you know.  And, maybe one for me.

In propinquity,
Nic

3 comments:

  1. And people wonder why kids are scared of clowns ... This unfortunately lends itself perfectly to the horrifying scene in "Too Much to Contain", so I see why you had nightmares about this story.

    I read it the other day. I can't say I loved it; it was far too disturbing, but it was well told, no doubt of that. Not a feel good fairy tale by any stretch. Vividly portrayed, excellently laid out, terrific foreshadowing and super character development. I really, really liked Cameron. He was a true best brother friend. I liked the band too, and how you wove their history into Sade's. Very, VERY well done, Nic. Even I, who like to explore the darker side of human nature, set it aside with a creepy feeling in my gut. I'm still thinking about it, in truth. Trying to make sense of Rudy's final show, I guess. Wondering exactly what he fed that wolf. Yep, the story struck a universal chord all right. Good work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm fascinated by the feedback after the initial fear of sharing the story. I know it's harsh and obviously it is much darker than anything I've ever written but I stayed true to the story and finished it. As with ones that challenge, I agonized over every word. So many have had the same reaction you had, a few have told me that it's their favorite of all the stories I've completed thus far. I love that stories have that individual power. I carefully crafted it and took my time, building up to the big bad. It wasn't easy for me to write or understand. But, in the end, I completed it. I still think about him too, I wonder why. I was never given the reason but I imagine it was a culmination of all his demons getting together for one big after party with his mental health. It made me really sad in addition to scaring the bejesus out of me. I am grateful though for the test.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can see why some would deem it their favourite, if only because it stands out as something unlike anything you've ever written before. It's an extremely powerful story, Nic. The way the band influenced their fans' lives, how much power Rudy had over the masses, and where that power may have taken his followers in the right conditions ... I think had he not disappeared without warning and pissed off so many, he would have taken more with him in the end. Bad enough he took out the crowd himself, but you know how charismatic icons can inspire local nutbars to similar acts of violence. This one is destined to stay with us for a long time.

      Delete