Wednesday, June 5, 2013

Artistic Snafu


Artistic Snafu 

while you are in the process of
revising your bloated masterpiece

I will ponder your deliberate 
choice to avoid a dramatic ending 

you will resort to arbitrary criticism
of my delicate unabashed poetics
that have been earnestly delegated to 
piece together your splintered patience

I would happily congratulate you
on your rich fictional histories
but it is a commonplace error 
for an admirable reader to prolong
false & undeserving accolades

it is an artistic snafu

what I can accomplish in 4 or 5 sentences
takes you more than 600 long-winded pages

your melodrama is palatable
but my prose is a world of passion

you reveal yourself with great reluctance
it hinders your almost extinct sincerity 

but 

I am a bestseller & open to interpretation

you are a faunt of envy

of this
to others

I say nothing

**

Moral?  Envy, jealousy, boastfulness get you nowhere.  But, confidence, belief and hard work do.  Just my few cents worth.  This applies to any facet of life, art and work.

After finishing 'Hardscrabble' I wasn't sure anything new would materialize in the way of story ideas.  I went a few days resting my noodle, watching TV, reading a little and being otherwise casual.  I was eating dinner at a friend's house, grilled cheese and soup, when an idea formulated.  The working title, which I really like, is 'Large-Hearted'.  I've only written the first paragraph, a small paragraph mind you but it is brewing.  The only way I can really describe it, as of the idea I have now, is that it is a story within a story.  I'll know more when the characters fill me in.  

Nothing else going on in my little world right now.  I started watching S3 'Game of Thrones' last night.  I thought I'd better catch up since everyone has been going postal about the 'Red Wedding' episode.  I haven't read the books so the event won't come as a complete shock to me but I have been avoiding most of the spoilers.  Oy. 

I also watched S1 of 'Smash', the now canceled series from NBC starring Debra Messing about live theatre/Broadway in New York City.  I LOVE this show, a musical, complete with musical numbers and high drama.  S2 comes out on DVD in August.  I can't wait!  I wasn't sure I'd like it but I ended up loving it. Something light-hearted and fun and something to get me over my '30 Rock' hangover.  Excited that 'True Blood' and 'Dexter' are starting this month.  Holy cow, it's JUNE!

Happy hump day, folks.

In propinquity,
Nic

1 comment:

  1. Nooooooo! Oh, the danger of waiting to watch something that's almost done its first run. Forget the Red Wedding, Nic - what happens to the Kingslayer was REALLY upsetting!

    As for your poem, well, because everything is always all about me, I laughed out loud seeing a comparison between you writing poetry and me writing my great big long multi-page stories. Though, really, I see the analogy as you later explain it. Another brilliant metaphor, executed with the brilliance of a gem-cutter. Have I mentioned lately how much I admire you?

    ReplyDelete