Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Dear Enemy



Dear Enemy

in my winter of discontent
I wrote you a bantam poem
so that you may dance

but

it was stolen from my desk
lifted from a thinking woman’s
pile of un-sated beliefs

I imagine the guileful culprit
will recite the pejorative nouns
with profound fatigue and regret

whatever the ceremony
my faithful mandate of polarized
ideologies always handled with aplomb

reactionary attempts to deconstruct
spoken in some pinched narrow voice
enacted with priggish mannerisms

your poem

on loving a man with a particular quality
tolerating his unrefined imperfections
and turning to him for unbridled advice

is really about how we compromise
and continually manipulate each other

a typewritten archive carefully measured
in a fatalistic rhythm aptly proportioned

reverence

the unfortunate verity of its disappearance
means your poem remains anonymous
in the sustaining circumstance of privacy

intimacy shared
intimacy denied

imbued with a sense of irrational longing
my trusted voice denied its target audience

stolen by the enemy
stolen for spite

by someone who does not think you
                warrant the attention

**

It's Open Heart Forgery open mic night!  It's hot as Hades around these parts so hanging out at the Spring Garden Library might be a little bit sweaty but I'm looking forward to mingling with writers and maybe read a  poem or two if I'm for it.  I'll have a bit of time to kill between the end of the work day and the event so I'll likely drown myself in ice water and try and scarf down a bit of dinner.  I am still feeling a bit of left over elation from Matt's show on Sunday.  I love it when the good feelings linger.

Not much else to report except I just ate a really sweet apple and it seemed to have quenched my thirst for the time being and I'm 3/4 done my crossword.  Not to bad for my Monday (your Tuesday) eh?

Stay cool, kids.

In propinquity,
Nic












4 comments:

  1. Oh, read this one tonight, Nic - it's awesome! I love the sentiment and the manner of its expression. How therapeutic, to write it all down, then "have it stolen" before the subject misinterprets evisceration for lamentation. I suspect that the thief is actually the poet's wiser self ...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You hit the proverbial nail right on the head, Ru. Sly fox.

      Delete
  2. Yeah, these days I only wear my Poetry Moron hat because it's comfortable, lol.

    ReplyDelete