Friday, June 7, 2013

10 Steps To Becoming A Better Writer


Aside from Chuck Palahniuk’s excellent writing advice he dispensed to me in a handwritten letter: ‘Never be afraid to look like an asshole,’ the best advice to follow is to write.  The following rules apply, it states you must do your work, you must apply yourself and if you do, whether you want to or not or feel you have nothing to say, every word counts.  Every. Single. One.

If you ever question yourself (or others about yourself) whether or not you are a writer or an artist, you most likely are.  Steven Pressfield, in his amazing book The War of Art says this:  The counterfeit innovator is wildly self-confident.  The real ones are scared to death.  (Btw, I mention this book as suggested reading for ALL creatives.  It’s an important book and when in doubt or creative crisis should be referred to.)

After I finished my last short story, I was nervous.  I’ve been so overwhelmed with ideas and thoughts and characters and stories that they were coming faster than I could get them down on paper.  I am certain, in the flurry to record everything; I missed a few bits and pieces.  Nevertheless, I have been truly enjoying the process and the influx of fiction invading my noodle and taking up all of my time.  It’s certainly better than wasting precious time on things that dull or spirit and with people who try and break it.  This writing adventure has centered me and caused me to re-evaluate a few things and to take better notice of what matters.  For me, it’s staying true to myself and listening actively and intently to the songs of others.  And by others, I mean my friends, friends like Joseph Whistle, little Charlie Roop, Mr. Wincey, Harriet Weeks and Augustus Cade.  I write for them.  And for me.  But, the key is to write.  There were days I wrote one sentence, one paragraph, one word.  Eventually, I amassed a whole story.

Just write.  What’s in you.  Every day.  One word at a time.

I can’t wait to see where ‘Large-Hearted’ takes me. 

And the weekend is once again upon us.  Once I make it through this day, I plan to get caught up on sleep from the mind-numbing insomnia I suffered for days on end.  Some of which could be blamed on marathoning ‘Game of Thrones’ to catch up to the devastating ‘Red Wedding’ episode everyone was freaking out about.  As discussed with others already, the cutting off of Jamie’s hand and the bear scene were just as disturbing to me.  The wedding, while I knew would be brutal still left me speechless, more-so he killing of Robb Stark’s pregnant wife.  I’m not sure I’ll ever be able to un-see that; that more than anything else terrified me.  I also started reading The Book Thief by Markus Zusak, a heavy ambitious book that has so far been good.  I’m not very far into it but I can tell it’s going to be profound.  For something uplifting, I have a Matt Mays show tomorrow evening that is now going indoors because of Storm Andrea Whatshername.  It’ll be my first show at the Cunard Center believe it or not but I just look forward to having my ears filled with the sounds of a White Falcon and a kick drum in my chest.  Some people do yoga …

Happy Friday, amigos!

In propinquity,
Nic

3 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for this post, Nic! I'm presently dealing with an under-confident writer in my life (honest, it's not me), and just yesterday I was encouraging her to "just start something". Harder to do than say for sure, but this picture and your wonderful words say it so much more eloquently than I did!

    Great advice for newbies and oldies alike. Now, about that "write every day" point: do work emails count?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's our only truth as writers, write or wither. I hope your friend finds some comfort in this and I wish her a successful start and a bountiful body of work.

      'Our' work emails ALWAYS count. And those exchanged with your cool inspector. ;)

      Delete