Friday, February 1, 2013

Anti-Censure


Wow, it’s February already!  Where is the time going?  Kids, it has been one long hellish week.  I am at my wit’s end with all of the irritants and dramas of real/work life.  I’m ready to shrug it all off and face forward to a weekend I’ve been anticipating since before the Christmas holidays.  That’s right folks; it’ll be Springtime In Vienna here tomorrow.  The Tragically Hip will be here to entertain.  This concert will suspend me into my happy place.  Their music and in particular the lyrics, have always left me in awe.  Gord Downie is an incredible rock poet, he inspires me and his words challenge me and make me think.  They are visual, emotional and worshipful.  He can coin a phrase, sing a line, ad-lib until the cows came home and I’d be enthralled, hanging off of every notion.  There is nothing more magical than the marriage of lyrics and music and nothing as profound of those two things united presented live.  One more sleep!  One more sleep!

I am sad to say that after I shared my two short stories and started the third, I lost a bit of prose-writing steam.  That happens I suppose, right?  I’m not worried because the idea/character/intention is still present and I am still churning out poetry.  It’ll come.  I won’t be too hard on myself for stalling because never have I ever completed three short stories and shared them almost back to back in my life.  I’m confident more will come and eventually I’d like to write something longer.  Baby steps, yes?  I worked hard at setting attainable writing goals while heeding to inspiration.  I think I did reasonably well. 

In thinking of my goals on writing stories this poem arrived.  Books are always showered with descriptive and interesting accolades as promo and tools for getting people excited about what’s between the pages.  Just something fun for a Friday.


Anti-Censure

written

an erotically charged
blistering social satire

from an articulate
observant writer

deeply entertaining
fantastically indiscreet

this compulsively
readable account

chronicles

objectionable behavior
with rollicking reverence

fast-paced
eye-opening

deeply entertaining

experience the full
novelistic breadth

of mesmerizing prose
vivid cadence of events

wide in scope
epic in depth

deliciously meticulous

from an emerging voice
in contemporary fiction

a searing debut

on sale now

**


As I was typing I think I stumbled on something, a small glimpse for the new piece.  A character and an interesting turn of events perhaps.  I don’t know what I’ll do with the flash because the new story itself started out to be so specific.  Hmmm …

As you were.

Happy Friday!  Happy February!  Be kinder than necessary.

In propinquity,
Nic

PS - The new issue of Open Heart Forgery is out and up online!  I made the cut this month.  See for yourself:

No comments:

Post a Comment