Thursday, June 14, 2018

Picnic



Picnic

            just so
mid-afternoon
happy-go-nutty
it was imperative
to escape the dusk
atmosphere of my
fern-clogged attic
office & step out
into the depths of
thick-muted sun
            a picnic I
thought
or a  pique-nique
as the 17th century
gourmands termed
it gourmands who
brought their own
wine when dining
w/ friends
but
for me
alone
a hike away from
the mutterings &
spatterings & din
of the day
            just so
the sound of a slow
ticking town clock
provides a certain
            rest
to accompany my
out-of-hand eating
foregoing plastic
partitioned dishes
for a fresh deli treat
            a muffuletta
thinly sliced layers
            of
mortadella
genoa salami &
capocollo picante
mingled w/ creamy
farmstead
            Swiss cheese
sharp provolone &
a savory chunky olive
salad spread between
thick cuts of a
            Sicilian loaf
sealed tightly in wax
paper and saran wrap
            to go
            just so
my chosen park bench
carefully selected for
its quiet locale
            I regard young
folk tossing balls
flicking
Frisbees
& whirling
hula- hoops around
waists & limbs
even necks
I consider a few pages
of my book
            dangerously
funny for reading in
public & embarrassing
oneself w/ irrepressible
            laughter
so I opt earbuds & the
soft sounds of
            Tim Buckley
while I nibble & ogle
            just so

***

This morning’s prompt, a picnic. I opted for a solo show since that’s kinda how I’ve been feeling of late – solitary, observant, quiet, guarded, and even pensive – however you want to coin it. While I wrote I wished it was my reality but for now I will have to settle for living inside of a poem.

In propinquity,
Nic


No comments:

Post a Comment