Friday, June 1, 2018

Heavy Metal Summer




Heavy Metal Summer

wearing a fitted blazer
& horn-rimmed glasses
in a bustling downtown
teashop I busy myself
scribbling poems in a
new Moleskine jotter
desperate to be an artist
capable of capturing the
madness & appetite of
my heavy metal summer
each verse a light parody
of something conjured
up in a 80s fever dream
at first glance I could be
confused for a bit of a
elitist artsy fartsy prig
you’ll be surprised to
learn that I made art on
my bare chest up against
many a cold concert rail
unencumbered by the male
centrism of rock ‘n’ roll
I may now sit & work at
a mahogany desk inlaid w/
mother-of-pearl but I was
once a listless daughter
product of a broken home
fond of strange courtships
shouting at the Devil w/ a
pint of vodka shoved down
the ass of my too-tight jeans
in any given parking lot
leaning on some random car
on any given summer night
in
nineteen eight five

***

And, another successful writing exercise in the can. The writing prompt was 1985. I’m pretty sure the documentary the accompanying photo is from came out a year or two later but for some reason the year conjured my first viewing of ‘Heavy Metal Parking Lot’. It was awesome and I still enjoy seeing snippets of it now and then.

This poem is kind of resolving past with present, fact with fiction, and plain old fun-with-words.

Happy Friday!

In propinquity,
Nic


No comments:

Post a Comment