Tuesday, June 12, 2018

A Compulsive Mind



A Compulsive Mind

I came across a specious stranger
w/ a compulsive mind & proclivities
for nippy jests & cataleptic ironies
plain clothed w/ gold-rimmed specs
he fidgeted while writing a princely
letter to someone I imagine to be an
attentive listener to be able to pour
over the pools of words jotted down
w/ a basic pen on unadorned paper.
He caught me ogling, leered & said,
I am beginning with an ending. It’s a
long story to spell out in short words.
Dare I be evasive, obfuscate? Nah.”
My silence was met with a shrug of
his reedy shoulders hunched over the
table as if keeping his bustle a secret.
He considered staying soft but spoke
& revealed he was reciting rather a dull
detail
how his school lunches as a boy were
always wrapped in wax paper toted in
brown bags w/ a drab apple that left a
dent on the top of the thin bread slices.
He then blurted w/out being prompted
how profoundly he missed his dearly
departed Mother even if she loved w/
a severe tenor & skinny fingered hand,
She was beautiful but so very brutal.”
The specious stranger returned to his
task at hand & I departed. I often think
of him now many days later & wonder
how his handwritten memorandum was
            received.

***


I couldn't complete last night's writing prompt from my pal so as per usual I pecked on my commute and in between work spurts. The prompt was to use the word obfuscate somewhere in the poem. 

Fun, fun, fun!

In propinquity,
Nic




No comments:

Post a Comment