Friday, June 15, 2018

On The Verge



On The Verge

linger there
on the verge of
            hysteria
& imagine this
scene
            renowned
playwright takes
refuge in his hotel
room
            lights up a
cigarette & pours
himself
a drink
of wine
lays back
& considers
a barbiturate
            binge
drunkenly
agreeable
            he intends
to
throw
back a
generous handful
            measured
out
in the
overcap
of
an
eye-drop
bottle
            swallowed
them all
one careless gulp
pills
overcap
            asphyxia
cold
self-contempt
expires
            reassurance
required
no more
            a last act of
torment

***

I didn’t know anything about how Tennessee Williams died until last night when watching an old re-run of an Anthony Bourdain show. He quipped at one point that Williams choked on a bottle cap and died. It stuck with me and so I poked around the internet a bit looking for clues. And, because I did, a poem.

There are of course conflicting reports about the cause of death and whether or not it was accidental or intentional. Some speculate they used the bottle cap story to preserve his reputation. I don’t think it would much matter given the brave work he put into our world, rich characters of the lost, sensitive, defeated, deviant, peculiar, and invisible. His stories stand the test of time, my dinky poem likely not so much.

Oh, it’s Friday! I’m in the homestretch of a work day and looking forward to loud music tomorrow night with my best bud. But, until then, I’ll work until the supper bell rings and carry on home with my nose tucked in my book until I’m home with my cat and can unwind.

In propinquity,
Nic

No comments:

Post a Comment