Monday, June 20, 2016

Encounter


Encounter

I caught sight of you
eating a burrito on a streetcar
                Bloor/Danforth
a view from the cheap seats.
I listened for something familiar
recalled you sinking into your
old love-seat seeking comfort.
An exposed world I lingered in
too long: it crackled to life
your strict routines short fuse
& when you hauled anchor.
I caught sight of you
stood in plain sight unnoticed
sagging in circling sunlight
until I was sorry I ever met you.
Bereft tangled & brazen, to
unburden myself of your poetry
I take my stop, buy a new sweater
an armload of old 45s & lumber home.
Your testy smile: the hardest habit to
                break.
I sent my silly cries into the pines
                where love never slips through.

Where you are a lie.

**

Tonight I wrote next to an open window, sunny and breezy accompanied by a generous playlist. I am tired, one of my ears is still aching a little but I really just felt the need to hide away in my writing room, door closed, with all my friends (rock wall) and just tinker. Good for what ails you on a Monday, yes?

I’m pecking at one more. It was strange, I was flippy floppy between two pieces and it was starting to make me dizzy. I had to discipline myself to work on one at a time. Now that the sun is setting, I will hunker down and continue with #2, a little something for my Mama.

In propinquity,
Nic



4 comments:

  1. Wow. Some powerful imagery here, and an awesome gut punch at the end. My favourite line? "Your testy smile, the hardest habit to break."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It could be your favorite part because it's the truest part of the poem. Haha!

      Delete
    2. There you go, speaking MY truth, lol!

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete