Tuesday, January 26, 2016

A Curious Factor



A Curious Factor

innumerable periods spent
hunched over a roll-top desk
just to exist on paper

a curious factor
world-propelling

the sum of limitless hours
plus a mounting word-count
minus the mundane measures

a curious cause
mental time-travel

insufferable phases endured
pacing threadbare carpeting
                just to exist on paper

a curious factor
creative tumult

rhythm & cadence
clause & comma

perish to publish    

**

I saw this amazing tombstone of a roll-top desk. It is deep in a Nebraska City cemetery and the inspiration for this little poem: a writing exercise for the sole purpose of stretching creative muscles I hadn't managed to use over the weekend with the arrival of a monster migraine headache. I had fully intended to plant myself at my own writing desk on Saturday afternoon, after acquiring my Poe-Ka-Dot socks from Bookmark on Spring Garden Road. En route home from my nerdy errand I came down with a monster headache, the remnants of which are still present as I post this. I need to finish my Patti Smith inspired writing exercise. I need to make time for it in the evenings. It needs close and careful edits to not exceed the goal. I can afford the time, I just need to turn off the TV and focus. Re-watching Mad Men in its entirety may have been the wrong choice with a writing exercise looming. Ha!

Happy Tuesday! 

In propinquity,
Nic

                                

1 comment:

  1. I love this! It speaks directly to the immortality gained by anyone who has ever written a sentence, drawn a line or dropped a note. It's beautiful and simple and eloquent and and and ...

    ReplyDelete