Wednesday, January 6, 2016

Under My Skin



Under My Skin

a deep dive into a
messy entanglement
semi-affectionate
and feudal devotion
counterbalanced with
pre-dawn escapism
pays a pittance in love

an extensive campaign
to shirk lasciviousness
for swoony romances
furthers the confusion
and demands dangerous
commitment to mockery
deliberately designed

it alphabetizes the body
disregards the assumptions
overruled by fugitive pieces

a long walk into a dark room is
a small cache of surprising finds
to exalt the ache and sting
of someone walking away


I’ve got you under my skin

**

A writing exercise has presented itself to me in the past 24 hours. I am happy to report that I am about halfway there. The first draft at least. I've been pecking at it since finishing this romantic little verse this morning. Just something to stretch my creative muscles. 

I'm quite excited about my current undertaking and hope it turns out as nifty as I imagine it will. 

Can't wait to share!

In propinquity,
Nic

1 comment:

  1. Wow. This is eerily akin to the heroine's motivation in the story I'm working on during my writing holiday. I could be gloriously wrong, of course, but my first read took me to the dark room where she and our hero (not really, but ...) are having it out after years and years of doing the dance.

    Only her last line would read, "You've got me under your skin".

    Nice catch, Nic!

    ReplyDelete