Sunday, January 3, 2016

I Will Not Fumble


I Will Not Fumble

you were the shape of songs on the summer air
the precise composition of the definitive hymn
the command of a deeply rooted red spruce tree

poems know something of our lives without you
my own solitude would feel more desolate if it
had not been fortified by our fine engagement

at the heart of it your departure opens windows
& while our eyes cry Heavenly arms open to you
with attentive graciousness to guide you home

while the act of saying goodbye feels impossible
you revealed that I am exactly where I should be
you taught me no greater method than to care

my own heart is still as you carry out God’s tasks
the horizons are blue and electric and I know you
are there in every active fraction of bright light

I may forever fall short of your everyday courage
I may never match the gifts of your generous nature
but I will always follow your extraordinary example

to move toward grace & acceptance & not fumble

**

I just learned that we lost another extraordinary soul this past week. She was 102. My Dad was so fond of her and I am certain he was up there in Heaven with arms wide open for a big welcome hug. Leaves my heart broken for those who love her that are left behind. She was a warm, generous woman, fiercely independent and spirited.  Her loss will be felt deeply.

I wrote this rather corny poem in reaction and through tears. I am still reeling from the losses of the past year or so therefore I take to the page to purge. I doubt there is any true merit to this poem except for that it allowed me to express emotions that continue to rule me. It's really just a small verse for anyone grieving and missing someone who has passed.

In propinquity,
Nic










1 comment:

  1. It's beautiful, as are all of your heartfelt works, my Beanie. You always write truth, but there isn't a lot of wordplay in this one. Just the straight skinny, and it is incandescent.

    ReplyDelete