Monday, January 11, 2016

Rise, Lazarus, Rise



Rise, Lazarus, Rise

equal parts angst and apocalypse
lean, bonk-eyed, snaggle-toothed
aptly androgynous and alien-like
other-worldly, infinitely changeable

Ziggy Stardust
Thin White Duke
Saint Obscurantism

emerged a newfangled enchantment
with strange abrasiveness and allure
space-boot deep in interstellar arrogance
a fragmented ideal of indecent cathexis

and then beyond the grave a black star
man-made moon over a galactic sandbox
an affluent splatter on a senseless canvas
emancipating the command of plastic soul

I look up, you’re in Heaven, man

ashes to stardust

rise, Lazarus, rise …

**

David Bowie is immortal. Or I believed him to be. When I woke up this morning, barely cognizant, accidently opening Facebook trying to swipe my alarm off, I saw a farfetched post:

“What? David Bowie died?”

My eyes snapped wide open. Just a hoax, yes?  An injudicious rumour. Silly internet trolls.

David Bowie died.

Tears. Heart broken. Surrealism personified.

I am, for lack of a better word, gutted. How we live without Bowie, I’ll never know? Yet, he’s left an extraordinary body of work to be explored, celebrated and to emulate.

In truth, our hero had taken sick. He knew his fate, what was awaiting him. So, in perfect Bowie fashion, he executed a perfect plan, to expire with infinite grace, leaving us with one last immeasurable gift, a goodbye letter to the world. Just fucking wow.

It’s funny, when I watched the ‘Lazarus’ video on January 7th, I was excited. A new Bowie record, a possible tour, he’s always been on my bucket list since missing him in Moncton all those years ago.  At the same time, I was unnerved. The video, the song, it had an ominous tone, made me feel a little uneasy but given the losses I’ve endured I thought perhaps that’s why it felt a little extra weighty. I certainly did not see this coming, his passing. I was sad to learn of Lemmy’s passing and Bowie, straight on the heels of it: two imperative icons gone, in one fell swoop. Fuck cancer.

I have waded through this work day with a heavy heart, spinning his songs over and over again, pecking at the above poem because I don’t know how else to express my gratitude, my sadness and my awe for someone who has been a part of my life, my personal soundtrack, forever.

Rest easy, David Robert Jones. You will be missed by all 4 billion people on this planet.

Thank you for your gifts.

You were everything.

In propinquity,

Nic

1 comment:

  1. Nicole, a beautiful tribute to a music icon! There's not much I can say except that you nailed his image and his immortality in these few stunning lines. I am not a Bowie fan per se; I know of and respect him because he had such great influence over my own icons when they were burgeoning immortals, but I was lucky enough to see him play live in 1986 (DD opened and Frampton was his guitarist, so that was the tour to see!) and I always enjoyed watching him interviewed. He was smart, droll and brazenly imaginative. Another great loss, but what he left behind will keep him with us forever.

    ReplyDelete