Thursday, January 21, 2016

Future Legend Forward - A Collaboration


When David Bowie passed away, I immediately took to the page and penned ‘Rise, Lazarus, Rise’. It was one of the only ways I knew how to organize my feelings, the ache I felt when the world lost him. My bud Kiersten asked me to write something together (as we’d done back in our uber creative myspace days), in honour, only I had already finished my initial poem.

Nevermind I told her, I’ll do another one.

She melded two fantastic photos Bowie together and wrote out a poem of her own. It isn’t something she approaches with ease so I am quite proud of her for completing the task.  We share a title yet wrote from two different hearts about one colossal sadness.

Future Legend Forward

(Nic)

convulsive dancers rival
an androgynous lithe form
in glittered skin-tight jeans
a dire agent orange mullet
to match a dead-eyed malaise

vintage punctuation
bold character sketch
surge of paraded peril
frenzied in outer-space

genres bent
damned odd
trails forged
proto-iconic

perfect for
our confused

                age

to ultimately arrive impotent
via a drowsy nostalgia
of dissonant art-rock
to art-direct his own

ascension

& break free from
the end of days

*****

(Keeks)

Eyeliner drawn across taut lids
A smattering of blue glitter
Shimmering silver platform heel boots
Electric blue feather boa
smelling of his sister’s perfume

Emulating a starman

 “You’ve got your mother in a whirl…
She’s not sure if you’re a boy or a girl..”

Pounding beat
               He sees him
Long desired first taste
              Freedom born of Stardust

         Spinning lights
         Trail blazing
         sparkling icon
         Gender bender

         Decades gone
         still pure


                       rebel

His paintbrush tells tales
              of torn dresses and
getting to church on time
              blue jean, china girls, and white dukes


Gutted

Eyeliner and feather boa
                   To honor the end of days






        
        

             




4 comments:

  1. In a word, wow. What I like best is the order in which these are posted - Nic's describes the sunrise and Kiersten's describes the sunset. Each poem paints a dynamic picture of the same sun, yet the "sense of tense" (for me, anyway) indicates the promise of greatness followed by the legacy of greatness accomplished. HD imagery to match the larger-than-life subject!

    Beautifully done on both poets' parts. I had no idea that Kiersten writes as well (why am I surprised, given the company she keeps?), so this post is a double bonus!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for the lovely comment, Ruth! I love hearing the perspective of another writer, you saw something in the poems that hadn't occurred to me. :-)

      This is the first thing I have written in almost a year. And poetry...well..it's NOT my thing. My writing is a whole lot darker. But the loss of Bowie had me so inspired, I was able to get this down on paper. I was super proud of myself and it was so nice to collaborate with Nic again.

      Delete
    2. Oh, I'm a professional at seeing the unintended in a poem, just ask Nicole! I adore the dark sparkle of this poem, and you say it's not really your thing? I'm intrigued!

      Delete
    3. I wish I got notifications of replies here. Sorry, Ruth! ;-) And no, poetry has never been my thing. I have written maybe three over the years. I think Bowie was holding the pen this time around. My writing leans to the dark, scary side...just ask Nic.

      Delete