Friday, January 11, 2013

I See The Sun

(Photo by Kiersten Bree Johnston 2012)


I am making it my goal to commit myself to writing and editing this weekend.  I plan to plant myself somewhere for a period of time, with a constant cup of something steamy, a mess of paper, a red pen and my thoughts.  I am making strides with my current piece of short fiction and scarily enough, I have another idea brewing.  Writing prompts can be a powerful tool.  I stumbled across a photograph that I quite liked and have decided since a name came, I’d work at writing something out.  It’s still percolating but it is coming slowly in essence and flashes.  I am a stickler for a good first line.  Much like readers with stories, I feel myself drawn in to a writing piece when I have formulated a solid first sentence, solid to me at least.

I am looking forward to my artist date.  Looking forward to spending quality time in my head, with my weapons of mass creation, in the world where I can overhear, observe and report.  My well needs a bit of water, time to absorb.

I submitted three poems yesterday for The Yeah Write Review’s 2013 Winter Issue.  My writer friend alerted me to the opportunity as she has also submitted a prose piece.  I admit to being a tad obsessive about watching the progress of my submission.  The way it is set up you are able to monitor the status, whether it’s been accepted, declined etc.  It’s a shot in the dark but if you don’t try, you’ll never succeed, right?  Right.  I have spent some time scrolling around Yeah Write and it’s pretty neat and encompasses all sorts of writings and varied interests ranging from the super literary to Harry Potter references.  There are prompts and photos galore and serves as a ripe breeding ground for inspiration. 

Check it out if you are so inclined:


A little poem for your Friday:


I See The Sun

slow to promise reward

songs too short to sing
dance too brief to bare
poems too poor to pay

for you I

foster a soliloquy
of full forgiveness

&

acknowledge

the bright spaces
of your canvas
are more plentiful
than the dark corners

I depend on
your secret
pleasures

no one knows
I write for you

to come alive

in you
I see
the sun

**


It’s strange; I have a funny feeling in my bones today, like I’m forgetting something. Perhaps it’s just the residual effects of my lingering flu bug or maybe that it’s Friday and I’m pumped about my date with me tomorrow. Whatever it is, it’s conjuring up a swell of restlessness in my tummy.  I hate those feelings.

Happy weekend, friendly readers.  Go out and do something nice for yourself.  You deserve it.

In propinquity,
Nic

PS - It should be noted that the accompanying photo today was taken by my friend, a talented writer and photographer, Kiersten Bree Johnston.  She should be famous.


No comments:

Post a Comment