Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Love Letter, First


What a start to a new year.  I'm terribly disappointed in myself that we are nine days in and I've not blogged once.  It's been hectic, NYE celebrations with my close friends and family that were both elating and confusing and then coming down with a serious bout of cold/flu on Sunday that I struggled through my work day with Monday and saw me call in sick yesterday and today.  Most of the symptoms seem to have subsided save the burning, aching ears, itchy throat and pounding headache that no matter how I try and ease it, just won't go away.  It's safe to say that as I am typing this, I'm squinting in agony but I've somehow become immune to it and I'm tired of resting.  I look forward to going out into the world tomorrow and getting back to my work routine.  Part of calling in sick when I'm sick is I spent 90% of the time feeling guilty but alas I am only human and do my best to stay healthy but sometimes, and moreso as I get older, a gross dose of cold/flu can really do me in.  I'm still not 100% but I'm going to make it.

I was pleased as punch yesterday though, in my sickness, to receive a lovely long handwritten letter from my kindred to the West.  It was only time yesterday that I sat upright.  The familiar writing and the   beautiful words warmed me and eased my loneliness.  I do get quite lonely when I'm sick and Ru's letter cheered me up.  Blessings are those exchanges.  I wish more people still wrote, pen to paper, instead of the immediacy of emails, texts and BBM messages.  I will always be an advocate for old-fashioned communication, handwritten letters and face to face conversations reign supreme with me.  Even when we are instructed by robots, I'll still be sweeping the streets for scraps of paper to write on.

Speaking of letters, I've been saving this little poem for a rainy day, a day like this, even though it was Spring-like and sunny outside my window but it's rainy inside (of me).


Love Letter, First

a love letter
beautifully written

a small symphony 
of happenstance

a revelatory portrait
of a tender connection

penned in a pastry shop
read on a subway train

the tides rise and recede
erasing everything known

except for amorous tendrils
of professed  pure affections

committed by hand
inked on elegant paper

a love letter sent in marvel
& received with shy delight

sweet words intertwined
invokes a true romance

a dead art

**

To prepare to venture back into the world tomorrow, I am laundering my bedding and jammies, my coat and scarf I wear everyday and my mittens.  After a warm shower and another dose of medicine it may be a little bit of TV or light reading.  Whichever my noodle can stand.  I may even venture out for a little bit of fresh air.  Sometimes that helps a great deal when I'm feeling less than awesome.

I do have a writing goal this week.  I'd like to spend some time editing my current short story.  I finished a shaky first draft and I really need to sit and pour over it.  I'm excited to do it I'm just uncertain whether or not it's actually finished.  I will polish what is written and pass it on to trusted hands for thoughts and hopefully soon have something to share.  This prose thing is still very new for me but I'm enjoying the challenge more and more.

Wish me luck.

In propinquity,
Nic

PS - In light of the lovely Saturday I had before falling ill, a chance meeting with someone I greatly admire that elevated my heart, I challenge you (because you're reading) to take a few moments of your time and write a letter of appreciation to someone, anyone who may have inspired you, touched you or helped you in some way.  You have no idea how a small expression can turn a person's day around and everyone deserves to be told they are appreciated.  Go on, I dare you.

No comments:

Post a Comment