Thursday, January 17, 2013

One Last Up & Down


So there we have it, two rejection letters thus far from the three I submitted for the upcoming issue of the Yeah Write Review.  Two poems out of three, passed over.  My sweet friend had her most excellent prose piece turned down as well and as bummed as we both are, the point is to always try.  The friendly rejection letter boasted that JK Rowling was rejected a billion or so times and that I should print out the unwanted poems and pin them to my wall as inspiration.  Interesting and partially poetic perhaps.

I have finished the first go with my new story called ‘Seated Women’ and have forwarded it to a few of my friendly reading for fire.  The title of the story comes from Carol Shield’s Unless.  She used it toward the end of the novel, it was a painting's name.  I read it and then Lenore and Harriet started to introduce their selves to me.  It’s been a slow and trying process with them but I went easy and just let them talk when they saw fit.  It is a glimpse into their friendship, its beginnings, their past and their present, looking forward.  I hope to share it here soon.

Today, in celebration, I started another already titled prose piece (because I need a title to be able to tell a story).  The idea was derived from another writing prompt, a photo, so in the spirit of Valentine’s Day looming, I have challenged myself to a romantic venture.  Let’s hope I still have a bit of romance in my otherwise squashed heart.   Two characters have been born to me, I look forward to their conversations.

A last minute decision yesterday left me with two tickets to see Blue Rodeo!  It’s their 25th Anniversary Tour and on a whim my best friend and I decided to get tickets.  We lucked out because it appears to be all sold out.  I believe we have purchased the last two seats that were together.  And so close to the stage, yay us!  I can’t wait to be in a room and have Jim Cuddy’ s beautiful voice filling it up and tugging the tears from my eyes.  His voice is powerful and soothing.  Something to look forward to. 

A little poetry to brighten your Thursday”

**


One Last Up & Down

decorated & tousled
I hear you coming after me

for

one last up & down

one last caress of the infinite
catching the light in your voice

you permit me
to pulverize the soliloquy

to

embolden your escape

the words will come
out of me slow & smouldering

your ear

whetting you
arousing you

at the apex I will withhold words
cease to complete the declamation

& you will suffer

that is how you will know
I have left you

& therefore divine

**

Stay cool, kids.

In propinquity,
Nic

No comments:

Post a Comment