Thursday, November 29, 2012

Teahouse Tenure



This morning I spent some time browsing through my entries here at The Paper Teapot, trying to decide which two pieces to print and share tonight at the Open Heart Forgery launch and reading.  I read and re-read everything and even considered choosing something that’s a work in progress but in the end, I decided on a small handful but won’t be completely sure which ones I’ll read until I’m actually in the room.  It’ll depend on my mood too.  A day can really do a number on the kind of words you want spilling off of the page, out of your mouth.  Maybe I’ll be feeling sentimental and/or romantic; perhaps I’ll be agitated with the direction of the day and go a little more angsty.  I have something to fit every emotion.   My dear friend Colleen (and maybe her sweet sister) will be in attendance too.  Pleased about that.

In the interim, since I’ll be meeting with other writers in a café, I wrote a tiny poem to celebrate the atmosphere.  You can never write too many poems about tea, the elixir of life.

The poem:


Teahouse Tenure

fresh-drawn
cold water
rolling boil
warm porcelain

fragrant steam
cup and saucer
mystic meaning
purified peace

&

patterned patience

the perfect
cup of tea

sipping solace

**


I am praying the hours fly by today to arrive to a place where creativity and kindness rules.  If you’re in the downtown Halifax area around 6:30pm and are looking for something to do, we’ll be gathered at Just Us! Café on Spring Garden Road. I look so forward to seeing my writer friends, to sip tea and take in their verses.  It's a beautiful thing.

As my talented script supervisor/fellow writer friend Elspeth Grafton posted a few days ago on her Facebook status, ‘Creativity begets creativity.’  Do something that brings color to the world, for yourself and those around you.  Anything.  A poem, a sketch, knit a mitten.  Whatever moves you, do it. The world will be better because you did.

Happy Thursday!

In propinquity,
Nic

No comments:

Post a Comment