Friday, November 30, 2012

Beautifully Scripted



Last night’s Left Bank reading for the December launch of Open Heart Forgery was fantastical.  There was nowhere else in the world I would have wanted to be on a cold November night.  I was quite content, with a cup of hot green tea, with friends and the words of so many talented writers to warm my bones. 

It was a lovely crowd, some constants and a few new faces which for me is always exciting because it means I’m inching closer to being a constant instead of a newbie and it also means that Donal’s brilliant idea in creating OHF is reaching people, especially writers who are ready to share their work.  It’s a beautiful thing.

I always come away from those readings so richly fulfilled, as a person and a creative.  There is something so liberating and satisfying about word-play and hearing them come out of your own mouth after having them shoot out from your fingertips onto the page.  It was also nice to have my friend Colleen and her sister Laura come by.  The moral support is always welcome as when my best friend Erica attended in the past.  There is always an added element of ease when you look up from the podium and you can feel the back of your neck burning from being in the spotlight and someone you love and who loves you is there for you.  Means a lot to me, makes the writing life seem less solitary.

I am constantly grateful to Donal for this whole experience.

Tonight marks a last minute return to The Dirty O for Big Sugar’s show with my new concert buddy.  I’m pushing through this day after a long but lovely week only to end up on the receiving end of Gordie Johnson’s wall of sound.  Bring it ON.  I won’t be able to hear a thing tomorrow I’m sure but their live shows are outstanding.  Beats sitting home watching TV.

Speaking of Gords I love, I wrote the following poem for one of my favorite Canadians, Gord Downie (of Tragically Hip fame who I am SO pumped to see in February) after reading his profound volume of poetry, Coke Machine Glow.  It seems to be the appropriate verse to share with a rock show pending tonight.

Beautifully Scripted
(for Gord Downie)

When you sing I take notes.

I am awake in your movie

the subject of protest & censure
charting the erratic behavior of blackflies
against a stretched stain of summer.

I am on display
left alone before a crowd of
possessive Phantoms to explain

the rape of envy

all while maintaining a smile
through stern reprimands.

I am reading poetry aloud
in an empty bar-room
crude with artistic quality

this is bottom, friend.

Poet,

you are beautifully y scripted

I want to break in two
& become you.

You are exquisite.

**

(Sidenote:  If you aren’t aware of Big Sugar or Tragically Hip for their musical awesome-ness, please do yourself a giant favor and investigate.)

Happy Friday, friendly readers!   Don’t forget to be good to yourself and kind to others.

In propinquity,
Nic



No comments:

Post a Comment