Monday, November 19, 2012

On The Incline



Everyone wants to elevate, yes?  Improve and grow, ascend to higher levels of humanity?  I’d like to think so.  I’d like to believe that even amidst all of the anguish and despair and outright stupidity in the world there are still those of us who want to burn brighter, to put colour in the world with goodness and fortitude.  Optimism in the face of on-going global strife, political emergency and spiritual discord – that’s what I believe in.  It’s frightening to look to news outlets for the world’s summary.  To have to turn to those who spin a story on its anguished axis to sell papers and magazines and improve ratings.  I feel like public figures have become not so much celebrities but cartoon characters and we are constantly missing the punch-line or are the butt of their asinine jokes.  And what of those people who call themselves writers?  The ones who bring us the news?  For the many that gravitate toward TMZing us for quick thrills and fast-paced tabloid faux-accolades, they are burying those few decent journalists that work tirelessly and strive to bring you the ‘real’ news.  We are so stupefied by bullshit reporting these days that true, intelligent newsworthy pieces are lost on us.  As are the lessons.

I suppose this comes from still being in a US Election hangover and discovering that the Globe & Mail has gone assaholic and will only allow me to read 10 stories before I am supposed to ‘subscribe’ and pay to read my news online.  Guess what, negative.  Literally.  I am making a promise to myself to ease off of the news for a little bit.  To not allow myself become so engrossed in it and to frequent sites and watch broadcasts that care more about their people and communities and the world instead of salacious splashy details and rely on fabrications *coughcoughfoxnewscoughcough*.  I could say that’d be CBC but they sort of have a hate on for our Canadian Forces which doesn’t really sit well with me so I guess I’ll have to resort to CTV news here at home, which means more of Cindy Day’s loopy hair and wardrobe fiascos and the Live At 5 crew who take us into our own backyards with stories that for the most part, appear relevant. 

This rant also comes on the heels of my inquiring about volunteer opportunities.  I really want to do something with a positive edge, to give to others, help others, to give back to the world somehow.  I have a few feelers out right now and am hoping to get started sometime soon.  More on that as it develops.  It’s time for me to re-focus and be mindful that reading articles about CIA numbskulls bonking babes and overdosing on news articles that in no way shape my person are better left for those with a lot of time on their hands, like those who leave long negative diatribes under news articles online.  Opinions are like assholes …

All that being said, it’s another day of trying to find the blessings, the better stuff, to be grateful and to seek justice when only it’s needed, to listen without judgment, learn and keep hope and goodness at the forefront of all of my intentions.  While I am doing good, I will maintain hope for greatness for the world and for others.  I know that those who do succeed but I like to think that those with hope will act and move toward positive change.   I think hope has a real place in our lives; it upholds our faith and inspires us to advance.  I like to live my life always on an incline.  It gives me something to strive for.  I trust it does for you as well.

Poetry:

On The Incline

amid
sand
& sky

speech
& space

words
& wonder

are

the full
focus

of

surveying
hope

&

endorsing
infinite

wisdom

on the
incline

**

Happy Monday, friendly readers and fellow optimists.

In propinquity,
Nic


No comments:

Post a Comment