Friday, November 23, 2012

Sunday Morning With Wallace Stevens


Sunday Morning With Wallace Stevens

there will always be time for paradise
between the pages of a posthumous opus

on a Sunday morning with Wallace Stevens
& a stack of single-spaced American sonnets
to camouflage my infinite longing for poise

quietly we discuss the depths of imagination
while I rifle through my worn-in handbag
& he re-organizes the formula for poetry

there will always be cause for confusion
between my reflection and his encumbrance

with experience’s heart pulsing in my palm
& an entire winter of muted illustrations
to occupy his reclusive contemporary aplomb

nothing prepared us for what we would discover
from our time spent together chewing oranges
& sipping home-made wine from chipped goblets

the residue of our combined private predilections
sound after sound make a perfect song of loss
championing the seventy-five verses composed

on those calm Sunday mornings between breaths

intellect made of us a series
intention made of us a celebration

there will always be time for heaven
between me and Wallace Stevens

grazing the circumference of revolving angelic choirs
syllables in intervals illuminate the darkness of things

me and Wallace Stevens

***

Gearing up to hit the road for a weekend away but not before arriving home to pack to find two fantastic postcards waiting for me in my mailbox.  More for the collection!

Be nice to each other.

In propinquity,
Nic

No comments:

Post a Comment