Friday, November 16, 2012

Civil Twilight




It’s twelve years today that my brother in law Joe lost his battle with cancer.  So, before I do anything of note, the most important act of my day is to take a moment of silence in remembrance for him, for all of the life he lived and all of the gifts he left behind when we had to say goodbye. 

Miss you, Joe.

And before I carry on any further, I’d ask you to take a moment to consider your loved ones, say one nice thing about them TO them and maybe even give them a squeeze.   We all deserve it, that’s how we keep breathing. 

Love.

Now for poetry …

‘Civil twilight’ (which has nothing whatsoever to do with the Twilight Saga so sorry to disappoint those few who were hoping) is technically defined as the time after sunset and before sunrise when the sun is below the horizon but not more than six degrees below.  During ‘civil twilight’ the expanse of the sky is still quite bright only where only the very brightest of stars and satellites can be seen.

It seemed an appropriate setting/theme to touch on for writing on the anniversary of my loved one’s passing.  Because in theory, Joe is one of the brightest stars and I’m quite certain if I look closely enough I can see him.

This poem was written with Joe in mind, during the time when all things are still and the brightest of the bright shine.  That’s how I think of him, that’s how he will remain. 

Civil Twilight

all seats
are reserved

for

civil
twilight

please

see
ammended
addendum

for

illegible
itinerary

thank
you

for

your
patronage 

**

Side-note: I did write a poem when Joe was ailing from his brief battle with cancer.  He used to sit on a chair in the bathroom by the window.  I wrote a poem called ‘One Brown Chair’ that I was never really able to share anywhere. I’m not even sure anyone has read it. 

And before one of my music savvy friends beat me to the punch, there’s also a great band out of Cape Town, South Africa called Civil Twilight.  I used to listen to their track, ‘Something She Said’ a lot.  I had forgotten all about their stuff, writing this poem has made me recall them and in turn, rediscover their music.  Check them out on iTunes or wherever fine music is sold.  They are worth a listen.

Happy weekend, friendly readers.

In propinquity,
Nic


No comments:

Post a Comment