Monday, May 27, 2013

SoCal Rescue


SoCal Rescue

a house in Laurel Canynon
full of Joni Mitchell records
walls lined with used books
hazy artists roaming the halls

&

the smell of slow burning incense

saved my life

**

Poopy Monday.  I'm still tuckered out from staying up too late on Saturday night.  3am is waaaaay too late for me anymore.  I've ceased being a party animal and while I still love to have fun and enjoy myself, late nights destroy me now.  I spent most of yesterday yawning and fighting to stay awake so I would actually sleep through the night.  I settled in really early, watched 'The Dark Knight' and passed out cold.  I'm still a bit loafy tonight but it was worth it being able to help dear friends celebrate their engagement.  I am going to treat myself to a few new episodes of 'Arrested Development' after I finish a second stream of Matt Epp's new record 'Learning To Lose Control'.  It's MASTERFUL.  I am FULL of goosebumps.  I can't WAIT for his show in June.  His work is so beautiful and soulful, he always inspires me.  I always like to think of my heart was made of music it might sound like his work.

Just a wee poem today.  To the point.  Simple yet heavy.  If you feel this poem, you know exactly what it means.

In propinquity,
Nic

PS - I didn't write much else today.  I opened 'Hardscrabble' to correct a few typos and add a few bits just before my day ended.  It's still in the front of my mind.  I can't wait to write more!




4 comments:

  1. I know EXACTLY what the poem means...I kinda left my heart in Laurel Canyon. I like to think that maybe someday that poem will be true...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm reverting to my poetry moron past on this one. Nic, sometimes your elephants are easier to grasp because by the time I finish reading one, I get it! Your shorter ones demand quicker reflexes. .. though I think I understand this one as a longing for a slower, artsier existence removed from the harem-scarem pace of the infamous real world.

    Am I warm?

    ReplyDelete