Friday, May 24, 2013

Sophrosyne




Sophrosyne

be of good human spirit
mens sana in corpore sano

be of sound mind
be of sound body

be guided by knowledge
be fulfilled by steadiness

value your virtues
evade extravagances

display self-control
insightful awareness

exercise a healthy mind
express a strong heart

live by clear illustration
to realize true happiness

triumph trying obstacles
through deep awareness

practice goodness

temperance
generosity
confidence
harmony
humility
                wisdom

be of good cheer
be a good influence

live happy
live free

and love 

**

According to Aristotle’s sensibilities, virtue is excellence at being human.  Virtue, aids in basic human survival, to thrive successfully, form spirited and meaningful relationships with others and to achieve true happiness.  I came across the word Sophrosyne on Facebook one afternoon.  Someone posted it as an image, its definition.  I jotted it down for safe keeping and further reading and stumbled across my scribble this morning; the kind of day where I needed a bit of reminding to live by virtue, with the goal of happiness in mind, not only for me but for my people and fellow man.  Christians believe that virtue is a substance that acts on faith, capable of manifesting miracles.  I like that idea and I also buy into Aristotle’s ideas.  Melded together, it all makes for a beautiful human belief.  I buy it.  I must, I wrote this poem.

It’s still miserable and rainy.  They are calling for 55+ millimeters of rain tomorrow.  Saturday.  It’ll be a good day if you’re a duck.  The good news is, we’re not made of sugar so we won’t melt.  However you spend your weekend I hope you’re warm, loved and happy.

In propinquity,
Nic

2 comments:

  1. Oh, much milder than yesterday's offering, Beanie! The rain has softened you up :)

    There's nothing wrong with trying to be a better person, or encouraging others to be their best as well. It truly makes the world a kinder place. As we can wreak untold miseries on ourselves with negative energy, so can we work miracles by being positive and helping others to see the sun through the rain. I know I'm a happier individual for looking skyward more often than not.

    I love you, Nic. You're my hero.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Feeling all kinds of tender today, Ru. Putting my energy to good use.

      I love you too. And you, mine.

      Delete