Monday, May 13, 2013

Delope

Delope

it is of little consequence
the candid practice of
throwing away first fire
is strictly prohibited

the bloodthirsty
amputate without hesitation

the unbecoming
blithely refuse blind faith

the morally superior
aim and fire prematurely

animosity
malignancy
jaundice
rancor

in the act of a duel
a craven indecorous
attempt to abort conflict
to delope is a not noble turn

virulence
satiety
hostility
enmity

an adversary
is an adversary
                is an adversary

wrong blood

erroneous victory


**


I discovered the word ‘delope’ while reading bits and bobs about Joseph Howe, one of my very favorite Nova Scotians.  ‘Delope’ French for throwing away, the practice of throwing away first fire in a duel.  Apparently, John Haliburton challenged Joseph Howe to a duel at Point Pleasant after several articles Howe had written and published in the Novascotian enraged Haliburton.  He wasn’t exactly on board with Howe’s ideals for promoting responsible government.  Haliburton, who was the son of the judge in Howe’s famous libel trial, missed his shot when they stood at odds.  In turn, Howe ‘deloped’ deliberately and missed, firing his gun into the air. 

I just thought it was an interesting word and as usual, a poem transpired.  I love when that happens.  I don’t know if Howe showed a sign of cowardice or humility but interesting to know someone would choose to waste their opportunity to settle a dispute.  Duels, that blows my mind.  I will recall this the next time I stroll through Point Pleasant Park.  

Food for thought?

In propinquity,
Nic

And, a billboard from the man:


Words change things.  Truth.

3 comments:

  1. Another cool French word for the vernacular armory! I shall employ it forthwith.

    As for the poem, how you got this work of art from a single verb is astonishing. It captures everything about the purpose of a duel - the ego, the violence, the stupidity ... in fact, it could also be a metaphor for the state of our society. That's what I love about your poetry, Nic. Not only is it vivid in its imagery, if I step back to view it as a whole, I often see a another picture superimposed on the specifics. What you do is genius.

    This subject certainly warrants discussion - throughout history, men have done dishonourable things in pursuit of honour and it's usually gotten them into trouble of the bloodier kind.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I tinkered with this one for a whole work day and posted it still a bit unsatisfied but now that I've gone on to other pieces and chipping away at edits on 'Mute', I like it more. Kinda suckered me a little.

      Yes, it does indeed warrant discussion. The idea of grown men resorting to asinine tactics to settle a dispute is both amusing and ridiculous. Words offer far better results and offer more weight. I wonder though, if you 'delope' in a duel, is it cowardice or human? And by what standards!? I think hashing it out with words a much better idea.

      Delete
  2. I guess it depends on the nature of the duel, or who misses first. If I thought like a man, maybe I'd have an answer, albeit a lame one.

    On the poem front, it's surprising how often a piece looks better after some time away from it. Because the artist is her own worst critic, she always sees where improvements coulda/woulda/shoulda been made. I love everything you write, but I'm looking at it from the stands. The rough edges are so well-disguised that I don't see them, lol.

    ReplyDelete