Friday, May 10, 2013

Saturnalia


Saturnalia

do not enter our
licentious celebration

with the unconcealed
expectation of grace

it is with excessive certainty
that the coarse ambitions of

opulent plates spinning above
shoots of buttercream daffodils

will dazzle your keen senses
tangle an abrupt and searing

string of salacious scripture
with dense literalized conceit

all for the purpose of theater
an illusion of scintillating opacities

a meretricious reserve of beauty
with no apparent absence of taste

do not enter our
profligate congregation

for any other motivation but to
indulge in a sparkling adaptation

of grand superficial pretensions
designed to appraise fancy footing

heaving outbursts of dramatic fire
& the tumult of glamour and affluence

please note
for all this jazz
tender hearts
need not attend

 **

I only have two words for you today other than the above poem, happy Friday!

In propinquity,
Nic






2 comments:

  1. This reminds me that "Gatsby" is being released today!

    As usual, Nic, this is gorgeous! A stunning ode to a rip-roaring era of glamour, glitz and razzle-dazzle. Indeed, nothing here for the romantic, unless you count romance as being naught but shiny and sparkly ... which I kinda sorta do. I love this poem. I love the time it evokes and the marvelous way you weave imagery with words. Okay, so I thought I'd need a dictionary to help me with the bigger ones, but then I stepped back and got the full glorious picture. The taste, the sound, the savage beauty of it all. *sigh*

    (This is where you tell me that it's a satire and I completely missed the irony, right? ;))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That you conjured 'Gatsby' tells me that with this poem, I've done my job. Inspiration translated!

      This ain't no elephant! ;)

      Delete