Thursday, May 17, 2018

Reminiscence



Reminiscence

just off of the
cavernous lobby
there are suave
claret leather seats
teak-wood walls &
soft blonde light
I had hoped for a
gaudy chandelier
but the dimness
would have to do
I ordered myself a
nice Vieux Carre´
rye whiskey, cognac
sweet vermouth
Benedictine liqueur
bitters & ice – it came
in a generous goblet
dense lustrous crystal
& thick stemmed
each sip conjured a
thirst for a Sazerac
back at Carousel Bar
nothing quite compares
to a blend that begins
by sluicing an erstwhile
tumbler with a bath of
absinthe
in this lounge with its
smatter of rich patrons
I am awash with memory
of the French Quarter &
an old love long missed
            oh, those ghosts

***

Another fun writing exercise completed. My friend’s prompt this time, the French Quarter. A small mention but it eventually got around to it.

In propinquity,
Nic


2 comments:

  1. I.Love.This.One! Well worth the wait for the prompt, lol. The phrase "soft blonde light" is gorgeous. I like the last line best, though. It wraps the package nicely.

    ReplyDelete