Thursday, May 10, 2018

My Prosperous Solitude



My Prosperous Solitude

cross-legged
on the chesterfield cradling a mug of tea
reading Hugh MacLennan’s ‘Barometer Rising
I determine that the salve for suffering is art
I stop just short of the right margin in reverence
it is in my prosperous solitude I promote him as
a big, brave lead – thinking of him in 1917 in his
house on 197 South Park Street a ten year old
Hugh MacLennan washing his knees for school
when at 9:05am two vessels laden with explosives
collided in the narrows of the Halifax Harbour
the North end of the city razed yet the two-storey
Victorian dwelling Hugh lived in stood a lonely 
tomb in the rubble of a shattered city aflame
            twenty-four years later
he penned his primary novel – a conclusive illusory
account of the catastrophe – its alleged truth glowers
among the yellowed pages of the tattered copy I
acquired from a miles long yard sale that wound
its way along the Eastern Shore – a welcome find
although I’m not prone to reading war stories his
account woven with romance and intrigue caught me
            after supper
dressed in a warm coat pulled up above my chin
I took a brisk walk for a drink downtown and on
the way back home found myself atop Citadel Hill
surveying the modern skyscape of the very city
obliterated by the 2nd largest man-made explosion
after the atomic bomb – it is astounding to me that
Halifax was once small enough that Parade Square
barely big enough to house the Women’s March
was the town center – upon the Citadel with the
company of my headphones Gord Downie croons
the last line of ‘Courage (For Hugh MacLennan)
it streams into my ears and makes everything feel
tentative in full circle fashion to know that just
across the once ravaged harbour there is a bar
fatefully called ‘The Watch That Ends The Night
I should make a point of buying that book next

***

Just a little something I wrote on my travels in the sun yesterday. I actually stood atop the Citadel for a minute and marveled at our city and its history. We are lucky to live here.

In propinquity,
Nic





3 comments:

  1. Best line? "The salve for suffering is art". Please tell me it's original and not borrowed from the book!

    ReplyDelete