Friday, October 4, 2019

We Talk


We Talk

            hunched & huddled together
we talk rock ‘n’ roll in battered leather jackets
& weathered boots over strong cups of coffee

            in covert agreement
we talk Los Angeles & the New York sound
but mostly we just shoot the shit about nothing
opulence to squalor
            in unspooled metaphors

            for countless hours
we talk between bites of day-old stale confections
two rapid minds hatching conspiracies strange &
verbose in detail, what some might dare refer to as  
            grievous triumphs

            combined wounds bound & sacred
we talk about traveling through twisted mountains
to reach bright lights & big cities & small towns to
loud crowded gigs
            spit, smoke & spurs – an unfettered blur       
a wild flood of accrued backseat/stage memories

we talk
            with ease, mapping out the trajectory of
                        collective electrified blues

***

Just a poem. Written on a Friday morning commute when I wanted to read my book, the Universe thought better and that I should be writing. So, I did.

I’m hitting up a rock show at The Marquee tomorrow night. Perhaps that’s where it was culled from. Wherever the particles materialized from, I was just happy, as always, to write something down.

Getting closer to the date too I get to workshop Big Magic with Elizabeth Gilbert. Counting sleeps. I am grateful the workshop is coming at the same time I’m working on the creative non-fiction pieces for Family Ties. I think it’s going to be an asset in that regard in addition to a salve for my soul.

Happy Friday, peeps!

In propinquity,
Nic
           
                                     


           




No comments:

Post a Comment