Thursday, October 24, 2019

Making Up Is Hard To Do


Making Up Is Hard To Do

the last time I saw her
she was in the kitchen
making sauerkraut soup
in a pressure cooker

in the time it took her to
brown the bacon, onion
and garlic in oil she was
done with my excuses

the curt nod of her head
and the flick of her hand
was my clear dismissal
I obeyed her direct order

            I’d rather have
found a way back into
her good graces – to be
able to sit across from her

with a bowl of that soup
a slice of warm country
bread smothered in butter
a grilled sausage

and her sitting across the
table from me, laughing

if she only knew
how truly sorry I am

***

The smallest detail of a recipe in newsprint inspired this poem. The second after I saw it, I jotted the whole poem down in the margins of my crossword puzzle. It’s two parts outward spark, and two parts truth. The regretful feeling in this piece is very real. For me, it’s healthy and helpful to work it all out on the page, keeping the drama where it belongs. In art and outside of myself.

In propinquity,
Nic





No comments:

Post a Comment