Monday, October 21, 2019

Dusklight


Dusklight

            how sweet it is
Mercy’s sound at dusklight
paired with the taste of plum
brandy on my lips

all night I traversed
guided by a broken star map
with an armful of forgiving
wildflowers

            how kind they are
the red-wing blackbirds who
muted midnight, a riveting act
so we might

            dismantle the sun

***

It’s election day in Canada. I value the right to vote and never waste an opportunity to exercise it. I am feeling uneasy about the potential direction our country will be going in when I wake up tomorrow. I’ll be devastated if dirty campaigning and rhetoric puts Andrew Scheer in power. It’ll be like Harper 2.0 with a Trump twist and it’s not something I want for myself, my loved ones, and my country. I want my right and those of all Canadians intact. Even more than I want the budget balanced. My hope is Canadians are thoughtful with their votes today. Strategic. And, they aren’t just voting one way because they don’t like the other. It’s irresponsible to not think critically at the polls. I wish more people understood the magnitude of their actions. Or inaction.

I am sick to death of American politics ala Trump. I can’t hear that noise across this country too. If that happens, I might lose complete and utter faith in my fellow man.

Come on, Canada.

Until then, a sweet little poem.

In propinquity,
Nic




No comments:

Post a Comment