Monday, September 24, 2018

My Paralell



My Parallel

“… you realize a poem is buried in there somewhere (in the unconscious) … there is a lot of unconscious truth in a poem. As you see me now, I am a lie.”Anne Sexton

Here it is
a cold hard truth –
this poem is an ultimatum.
I refuse to mince words. This
lunge, heave, & knock under
the blackest of suns, it is not
living.
It is a definite kind of sorrow
a simmering demise, no wiles
could confuse. It is the most
lucid admission I can propose.
I am no longer meant for this
cutting animation. I could pen
poem after poem to ease you
but they would be lies after lies
after lies, as I am ideologically
unsound. This is not rhetoric
nor is it a threat but simply an
attempt to valorize the requisite
for voluntary exile. I know that
I am a conscious creation and I
have tried too hard to live by
painstakingly ruthless editing,
revising, polishing my veneer
but the language of madness
swayed me into the sinuous
sphere of Death’s clean clinch.
You can go ahead and try to
dismantle of the myth of me.
Be sure to include the fact I
was resistant to the corrosive
battle toward artistic sincerity
that I bowed out not for weak-
ness but in strength. I chose the
trees, the fish, the Moon, water
the rain, river and oceans, caves,
Angels, and a voice speaking
only to me in fairytale and fiction.
I cannot highlight the contingency
plan for you. There is none. There
is only the affirmation of absolute
divinity. Do not cry for me. I am
not praiseworthy for your tears.
You in your judgement and your
acrimony have made that quite
clear.
You are relinquished of all agency.
Leave me to soft hymns, and a true
internal measure set to sing me home.
You might hear me linger in frank
laughter some time or in a postponed
heartfelt prayer you might recite to
yourself when you’ve realized it is
too late. You might catch a glimpse
of my old body when the wind stirs
in the bleached sand beneath your
summer feet, maybe even in a star.
And, at last let me make myself
perfectly clear – I am not ashamed.
Not of disappearing into the ether
and not for following in the valiant
footsteps of those who have struggled
                        and succumbed.
I will be free.
Of ache.
Of verdict.
Of the attention afforded.

***

I probably shouldn’t be reading poems by Anne Sexton or about Sylvia Plath right now while a loved one has taken quite ill. Alas, reading and now this uber heavy writing has helped me to put some of this anxious energy and overwhelmed-ness somewhere and direct my ire away from tempting targets.

I am not myself so you’ll have to forgive me if I’m forgetful or distracted or unable to show up for something or say the right things or act how you are used to. It doesn’t mean anything other than I am tired and sad and even a little frightened. I will be blunt and admit I care little for the opinions of others, especially now. I will not accept judgments and/or vitriol in my loved one’s name, even in my own but will fight for her because she is unable. It’s what family does or what they are supposed to do. It’s simple, if you’ve got nothing nice to say …

My heart is the heaviest it has been since losing my father and I am painfully aware some don’t and won’t understand. I don’t need you do. All I ask is for kindness because at this time I’m not open for any other kind of business.

In propinquity,
Nic

No comments:

Post a Comment