Friday, September 14, 2018

Flesh and Ink



Flesh and Ink

            at dusk
I scrambled uphill
to the serrated horizon
of Argyle Street from
the ferry terminal to
land at an evening table
w/ a glass of light-bodied
chianti, subtle traces of
cherries & violets swirling
            dining alone
w/ the charge of writing a
new poem
a verse stirred by hundreds
of thousands
of Indian women who on
the ninth day of Attulukal
Pongala carefully take to the
tight streets
of Thiruvananthapuram in
preparation for spiritual
offering
a customary rice pudding
rice cooked with banana &
coconut
riced cooked in jaggery w/
generous amounts of ghee
garnished with taut raisins
& raw cashew nuts
a bounty
Thanksgiving for a rich
harvest
the moonlit roads fill
w/ divine sisters gathering
bricks, rinsing rice, grating
coconuts – assembled at
side-by-side
 make-shift stoves
fueled by small fires
started w/
dried palm leaves
            I only get so far w/ my
writing before my server asks
if I am ready to order
            he hovers over me in a
perky straw hat w/ a broad black
ribbon above the rim, he’s long
faced w/ a furrowed brow
& pays
no mind to the artistic task
at hand
            I order
Wagya steak tartare
w/ a soft cooked egg
squid ink bread & pickled
watermelon rind
            a sip of wine & I am
back on the page compiling
words to align a modest gruel
devoted to the fem Hindu Idol
Bhadrakali – alienator of evil
& bringer of prosperity to all
who choose to follow
while writing
            I am overcome
w/ emotion & feel as though
her benevolent protection has
circled my poise
            my flesh
            & my ink
I feel myself churn
            in feminine wilderness
feminine willingness
sketching these devotees whose
earthen pots boil over
            devotees who forget the
searing heat, the glare of the
burning sun
ululations & prayers
intoned
stridently in one fruitful
voice
            folded hands
            bowed hands
the imagery compels me to
abandon my expensive dish
to be arranged among them
around the circumference
of the shrine
                        alas
this chianti
this poem of my flesh & ink
will have to suffice

***

I’ve been pecking at this poem for a few days now. I’ll likely peck more after posting. I’ve had fun writing it so I may have to add and/or subtract in the near future. A work in progress? Yis!

Happy Friday!

In propinquity,
Nic



No comments:

Post a Comment